Ideas for new tank, bit of help needed please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darren86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have just got a new tank the other week and is in the process of its cycle, i have 2 plants in there and some driftwood with 3 amano shrimp.
The tank is 130 Litres (34.4 Gallons) the width is 80cm and 55cm tall.
I really want a ruby shark, a Peckolitia L288, 2 pakistani (yo-yo) loach and 2 Opaline Gourami.
Do you think this will be ok for a tank of this size or is it too much? also like the kribensis.
Any help with this would be great! :)

Hello darren,

Sadly, the shark and loaches will get too big for your tank. However, the gouramis and catfish would be fine. I think kribensis would be fine in a tank that size as well. Hope this helped!

On top of what was said above, loaches need to be in groups, so you would get to your stocking limits quickly. It seems like you are leaning towards more aggressive species, so be sure to research before pairing anything up.

I don't think it's a good idea to be cycling with amano shrimp in there. Not trying to be mean, but you might lose those guys.

really? I thought the ruby only got to 12cm max? the tank is 80cm long and the loach 7-12cm?

well, the rainbow shark will get big and aggressive so it isn't a great fit. And, while one fish the size of a pakistani loach would work, they are schooling so you would need multiple specimens.

Thats a shame because I wanted a silver shark but was put off by their potential size so thought id compromise and get the ruby, didnt realize the yo-yo's have to be in threes either. its a shame the lfs are full of crap and just try to sell what ever they can, i was told they would all be alright in a tank that size.
Any other suggestions? I dont like tiny fish like guppies, i want something a bit more interesting than that. Thanks

I like them but aren't they too big? Most get to 30-50cm don't they?

You could get rams or apistos.....they are cichlids and stay around 3 inches. They're pretty good community fish, unless they pair up and lay eggs. Awesome looking fish though. Instead of loaches, you could get cories. There are many varieties, and they have interesting personalities.

Was looking at the apistos but a few forums have been saying not to mix the kribs with them. Was going to get 2 kribs, should I get 2 male kribs with one apistos, one Pleco and 3 cory?
What you think?

The Krib - Apistos combo may or may not work. It really depends on the actual personalities of the fish. It is a risk. For the pleco, you will have to stick with a bristle nose, or any other that will stay less than 5 inches. Most plecos will outgrow that size tank. Cories are schooling fish, so at MINIMUM you will néed 4. Most will tell you more than 4, but I keep 4 and they are fine.

I am no expert on plecos, just know the basics. Someone else would have to chime in. I do know plecos are a hit on the bioload.

Back
Top Bottom