Ideas on an 29g aquascape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
uploadfromtaptalk1402860990596.jpg
Primary View
uploadfromtaptalk1402860990596.jpg
Front On

I'm trying to think about how I want to trick out my 29g for a couple fantail goldfish, a couple Cory's, and probably a few cichlids that look like bluegill, and no telling what else. Primary and Full On will be my main views of the tank so I will be aquascaping to see in the front left corner (as shown on Primary). I want to use those logs as well. Still contemplating exactly what. I need to cover the rear and right walls with tall growth and bring my downois and swords front and left. What else should I plant? Maybe terrace an inch or two up with a log as a border? I have a lot I'm considering and don't have a particular idea in my head. What do I want to do with this one?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402861039427.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402861039427.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 101
  • uploadfromtaptalk1402861972884.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402861972884.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 112
Normally I'd skip this part.. your stocking list is really bad.. sorry but it's all over the place. Cichlids require very specific water parameters, golf fish are cold water fish, and corys are...corys.. they'd probably get beat to death for eating cichlid eggs..what about a couple angels and the corys? Dwarf cichlids are great too! I'd really just axe the goldfish, even if you did mix the tank, the goldfish are super crappers and would trash the water fast.. as for plants..we talking easy low light or more involved? I may be wrong.. weren't you creating some super light rig??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This from someone who suggested cichlids in my other thread about this same tank.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311531

BTW: I may not get cichlids. I can't find the ones I want and you have to be on your A game with them.

All fish choice discussions go in that other thread shown.

Yes. There is a HID light on the way. For now I'm using dual 40's.

Now we need to concentrate on the main event-the tank itself.

I recommended "dwarf" cichlids then.. as I am now.. yes dwarfs are great Lil fish.. all the fun of a cichlid and a portion of the size.. one must take care in distinguishing between the two as it's such a vast Genre. I appologise.. I'd do some fissiden moss all over that dw, some rotala along the back.. maybe a nice midground off to the left side.. than the carpet.. ohh the carpet? ? Whatcha want?? Grassy? Leafy? Fat leafy? Skinny leafy??

Last edited:
+1 - I'm with Brookster on this one. Don't use goldfish.. not great for planted tanks.

Maybe a pair of German blue rams, Bolivian, or Kribs would be cool. You could possibly do convicts or firemouths - although I'm not too sure. A 30g might be their lower limit. I'd double check. Just stick to one species though. I actually prefer the first three recommendations of "dwarf" cichlids due to max size, color, price, and availability. Plus with the dwarf species, you can mix in a schooling fish like tetras or rasboras.

Last edited:
Do you know how bright the tank is? If it is bright enough, try putting in some more plants such as anacharis. These are very hardy plants that need moderate lighting. They can be kept free floating or planted. They propagate by cutting the stems. These plants can be found basically anyway for a cheap price at any local fish store. Anacharis can be good for hiding spots if you are considering getting cichlids.

Do you know how bright the tank is? If it is bright enough, try putting in some more plants such as anacharis.

Oh, there WILL be more plant life in here. Don't think this is it. ;)

I believe I have medium light and plan to increase a little more.

I started me a back wall with bacopa caroliniana. I still have a lot of planting to decide on.

I started me a back wall with bacopa caroliniana. I still have a lot of planting to decide on.

Great choice, petsmart package?

Yup. Top Fin. I think that's actually from Tetra.

What should I put among the bacopa to add thickness to the wall?

The plants from the gel packs are tiny initially. They will fill out in time. The Bacopa caroliniana should make a Great Wall of green along the back. Nice bright color. You could try the Alternanthera reineckii as a complement to the Bacopa. Also, you could try Crypto balansae. It has tall narrow leaves that would look proportional to your tank.

The Alternanthera reineckii loks like it would go with my Scarlet Temple. Sadly, my attempt to grow the Temple from stems wasn't very successful. The stems I do have look mangled and still float, but the Temple is still growing and has plenty of color.

Here's an idea as I have the bacopa growing behind the ar..

Attachments

• 1403005497339.jpg
    1403005497339.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 73
Put it all in one corner? I like the red layer and then the "grass" you have set up. I may do some of the same but not solid red.

uploadfromtaptalk1403197869438.jpg

Here's what I have so far...

Like the plant placements.

Not a fan of the logs if im honest. Not enough character in them

How come the tank looks green?

Back
Top Bottom