Identify Plant and Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never nailed down what plant this is (right). It looks to be some type of Ludwigia, but I can't say for sure. Can anyone else identify it?

Also, see how it's pearling out the cut I made when trimming? Is that just oxygen escaping the easiest route during pearling? Everything is pearling but that cut has bubbles pouring out like crazy.

Last edited:
I like Peyton's ID. It does look a lot like L. palustris. It could also be some other Ludwigia variant, but L. palustris seems most likely to me.

What you see happening at the cut on the stem is called "streaming". It is indicative of damage to the plant (unavoidable when you trim them). Instead of forming tiny O2 bubbles you see a stream of bubble escaping from a damaged spot on the plant. It is a good way to find damaged leaves/stems and can indicate pinhole damage (and likely potassium deficiency) on older leaves. It looks cool but isn't usually a good sign. Trimmed stems often stream dramatically until the plant closes up the cut.

That would be my best guess as well, but I never wanted to commit to that identification as mine never looked exactly like pictures I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom