If I start a fishless cycle, how bad does it smell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summitxho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well it should have been done long ago, but im still in the midst of getting my tank set up, its all ready to go but I was just wondering before starting it how bad does the tank smell when doing a fishless cycle? The problem is I am getting married on Sat in our house, so obviously I don't want to stink the place up, but I really want to get this thing going so I can leave it cycling while we're gone on the honeymoon, as I understand it my tank will still cycle with just live rock, and no shrimp, but will just take longer, will this still smell alot keeping in mind the live rock is supposed to be high quality already cured? I have a gut feeling I will have to wait a few more weeks unless I wanna drive the guests away. Thanks

Oh yeah its a 10 gallon FOWLR with a pengion 150 filter, 10 lbs of live rock and a 2-3" SB

Mine smelled like low tide in a salt marsh for a few days, then it went away. Cycled with 2 shrimp compliments of the local super market. It took a 4-5 days for it to start smelling.

--Liz

It will smell....not for long and not TOO bad...but you will notice it. honeslty, your plate seems pretty full right now without adding the chore of setting up a tank. Just hold off until the honeymoon is over so you can devote more attention to it. You can cetainly cycle the tank with LR and the time frame is not much different then using shrimp. First things first...congrats on your pending wedding!!! I hope all goes smoothly and enjoy the day, it goes sooo fast! :D :D :D

My lr was the same way very little smell just like chosenone. cleaned the rock well before starting the cycle, and only used 1 of the shrimp, did two 100% wc in the cycle. Good luck 8)

Back
Top Bottom