If zoo's are toxic, how come no fish fatalities?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have read that zoo's are toxic. I have heard that their toxins can kill dogs. If this is the case, how come I haven't read anything about any fish fatalities...especially the ones that nip at the zoos?

I've wondered this too - my lawnmower blenny is always perched right up against them.

The palytoxin they contain, I believe, is a neurotoxin - perhaps its only toxic to humans.

Well, I'm by no means a Palytoxin expert, so take this with a grain of salt, please.

I was wondering the same thing a while back when I first heard of this, and went on a hunt for the answer. I believe, again I could be wrong, that the reason it doesn't effect fish and can affect humans is the osmoregulation and homeostasis factor of fish. All that the toxin does is reverse the electrical flow of ions into the system and affects sodium uptake. Since marine fish are constantly flushing water out of their systems, I am asssuming it doesn't effect them.

So, when we ingest it or get it into cuts, it creates pain because it is affecting concentrations in or muscels. When it's ingested or something in large amounts, in effects the life muscle...the heart.

But..not all species of zoos do this and it would take alot to get sick from it. I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't lick your hands after you handle your zoos or put your hands in the tank. ;)

Some people are allergic to different things as well. I know a guy that handled some zoos and smoked a cigarette without washing his hands. His lips went numb and he could feel it running down his throat. Freaked him out but he is fine. I have handled zoos many times. Wear gloves when possible and keep you hands away from your mouth.

Not sure about the fish thing though :)

I was under the impression that the zoa's were only toxic if they were damaged or injured and "leaking." I could be wrong. Wearing non-powdered gloves is a good idea, as is not handling the zoa's if you have an open cut, etc.

Back
Top Bottom