Ill Shark???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coleman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi there,

i have a young red tailed black shark i brought from a shop around 1-2 months ago, an in the last week or so she has been acting very strangely. i understand the whole when stressed it goes silvery but it is only this colour on her stomach and she has been just laying around on a leaf on her side for the last few days and looks veery bloated around the stomach area. she also opens her mouth and closes it very quickly contantly as well. any advice would be great as i love this lil fish!

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability
(see above)

2~What are your tank parameters?
not sure but was tested and all ok apart from slightly high nitrate

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
40ltrs and been set up for four months

4~What type of filtration are you using?
not sure on filter system

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
one guppy
one plec (small)
one angel fish (small)
1 dwarf gourami (small)
2 Rosey Barbs (small)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
did a water change two days ago, i change 10% every 4 days

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
had her around 2 months.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
slightly rearranged the tank recently

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
always been fed flake and was fione before

cheers steve

how are you testing your water? im somewhat confused about the "not sure but was tested and all ok"... One thing that is causing stress to the fish is the fact that it is in such a small tank. The minimum tank size for the shark is 50 gallons and angels need 30 gallons. Also depending on what type of pleco you have, some get to be 3' long... Is there any way you can put them in a larger tank or take the shark and angel back to the lfs?

Back
Top Bottom