I'm a beginner starting a 55gal aquarium. ADVICE NEEDED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bud29 said:
sounds good. It took every day of my eleven week cycle to decide on a stocking plan for my 29 gallon, and then the day I went to buy fish I changed my mind completely :lol:

That's because when it comes down to it...it really depends on what your fish stores have in stock on the day you finally get to buy fish...lol. Some things you'll hold out for...but some are flexible. ;-). I'm starting my 55 gallon planted this weekend...so excited!

That's because when it comes down to it...it really depends on what your fish stores have in stock on the day you finally get to buy fish...lol. Some things you'll hold out for...but some are flexible. ;-). I'm starting my 55 gallon planted this weekend...so excited!

exactly. I was going to get cherry barbs, but no pet store had them, so I got some silvertip tetras :)

The ammonia is at 1 ppm the ntrite is at 5ppl. Do I add ammonia to feed the bacteria but not enough for a reading though?

Kay2lynnS said:
The ammonia is at 1 ppm the ntrite is at 5ppl. Do I add ammonia to feed the bacteria but not enough for a reading though?

I would wait until the ammonia is 0...that's what I did anyway... :). I tested every 12 hours tho...and I had to do a few water changes along the way because my pH dropped...

So mom noticed this algae growing on our small driftwood. It's a brownish color. It's a flowing fuzzy thing...normal?

ForumRunner_20121015_211902.jpg

ForumRunner_20121015_211926.jpg

yeah its jist black beard alge (sorry about the spelling) your fish should eat some i had it realy bad in the first few months i just left it and kept up with my WC and it sorted its self

Very few things eat BBA. Can't think of one fish or snail that does. You can spot treat it with Excel or H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). You can find tons of threads in the archives on how to spot treat it with either of the above products.

Did about a 60% water change to clear the brown water and add moss and new decoration like drifftwood,small pot with moss and a home made rock piece i made.

Photos below:

New driffwood:

ForumRunner_20121017_180849.jpg

Moms missed pot:

ForumRunner_20121017_181014.jpg

My homemade rocks I put together. Added moss.

ForumRunner_20121017_181341.jpg

The whole tank put together! :)

ForumRunner_20121017_181432.jpg

Did a water test before the water change and adding the items. Will test it again in a few hours. :)

So we added 4 (of our 10) blue ramshorn snails into the 55gal. To see how they likes the water and if conditions were right. Upon watching them I noticed a small spot on the glass. I looked at it closer and saw it was a very tiny snail. We then remembered that the guy who we got our plans from said we would have pink ramhorn snail eggs up on the leaves. We looked around the tank and we saw many other snails, some a little smaller than a tiny pea. This made us happy. It must mean we are doing something right. :) we sat in front of our tank and watched all of our snails. Enjoying them for a good half hour...

Cycling Question:

We did the waterchance. As seen above. Here are the water readings we got from the past few days...

Oct. 17 (after WC)
Ammonia: 0
pH: 7.4
Nitrite: over 5ppm (can't read it off the chart.)
Nitrate:10-20ppm

Oct.18
pH: 7.6
Nitrite: 5ppm (again above the reading chart)
Nitrate:80ppm

Oct. 19
pH: 7.6
Nitrite:5ppm chart (guess what? Still above the chart. )
Nitrate: 10ppm

Why did my nitrate lower so fast past my Nitrite???
Help me please!

Hi, just read your entire thread and kudos for all your patience... Your aquarium looks great and I love the fact that you found your stand at the thrift shop. I was spoiled and my parents bought my entire 20 gallon kit for me and my father made my stand after almost ten years I finally changed the hardware he had used on the doors.
I am interested in seeing your pictures when your plants take off and you have happy swimmers. With the level of commitment you have they won't be anything but happy.
Once the hubby and I buy our own house then we will upgrade to a larger aquarium.
In the past I keep two angels in my 20 gallon and they did not breed and got along fine with one another but they ate every fish smaller the a zebra Daniel in the tank. Pretty pricey midnight snacks if I do say soo.
I would say good luck but I don't think you need it :)

My toddlers tank said:
Hi, just read your entire thread and kudos for all your patience... Your aquarium looks great and I love the fact that you found your stand at the thrift shop. I was spoiled and my parents bought my entire 20 gallon kit for me and my father made my stand after almost ten years I finally changed the hardware he had used on the doors.
I am interested in seeing your pictures when your plants take off and you have happy swimmers. With the level of commitment you have they won't be anything but happy.
Once the hubby and I buy our own house then we will upgrade to a larger aquarium.
In the past I keep two angels in my 20 gallon and they did not breed and got along fine with one another but they ate every fish smaller the a zebra Daniel in the tank. Pretty pricey midnight snacks if I do say soo.
I would say good luck but I don't think you need it :)

Thank-you! That's so sweet of you! I love our stand. It was a great find and works beyond amazing and a stand. Perfect storage. I can't wait till the fish are added in. Which might be very soon!! Lol all we have in now is about 13 or so snails. Tiny guys...but they have been breeding. So cute. Thank-you for you interest!
I will update photos when needed. :)

So the tank is all cycled!!!
We did a 80% water change and tested this morning and this afternoon and we have a perfectly cycled 55gal tank!! :) Yayyyy!!!
Thank-you to you all for helping me and answering my questions! Stay tuned for photos as the community in the tank grows!!! :)

Congratulations! It looks like you had the right about of patience. :) I can't wait for mine to get set up and cycled properly.

Congrats!!! I bet your really happy :) you better keep us updated on what stock you do!

So it's been a little over 3 months since I started in this wonderful hobbie. My tank is looking lovely, and the community in it is full of excitement and drama. Drama? Yes, as in things like who's the babies daddy and cannibalism and king fish, Damon, being a funny little Betta. Here are some photos:

ForumRunner_20121213_130521.jpg

Full shot of the tank. Taken 2 months ago. The plants are fuller, taller, and grown more.

ForumRunner_20121213_130558.jpg

Quick pic of most of our residence.

ForumRunner_20121213_130639.jpg

Damon, or leader. He was raised with some of the fish we bought from an online buyer. So he gets along great with others. He is cool tempered, but so smart, aware, and silly. We love him.

ForumRunner_20121213_130723.jpg

We added 'moon lights' strips to the top edge of our tank for lighting at night when we watch a movie or something. I love the way it looks.

ForumRunner_20121213_130821.jpg

Other half of the tank. I love this drift wood piece.

Stock so far:
1 veitail Betta
2 red eye tetra
2 mollies (had 3 the other passed away)
2 white tetras
2 female sword tails
2cories
1 Chinese sucker fish
6 neon tetras
MTS snails
And ramhorn snails.

On too the drama. One day after doing a water change, I noticed a fry swimming about, then our Betta swimming on up and making a snack out of him. I looked to see where mommy was and it was our swordtail. I was going to let nature take its course and have the fish chow down on the fry, but MY mother didn't want that. So we make a quick makeshift nesting thing for the mom to be in. She had about 30 babies only 21 of which we saved and placed into another safe tank. That was something to watch. A live birth and then our fishes hunting the babes down.

Each of our fish have awesome personalities. But Damon is the one that shines. We dub him leader. He curious, funny, very intelligent sweet and almost cunning. Never fighting.

So there is my long quick update guys. Thanks for helping out!

Back
Top Bottom