I'm back with questions..lol!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't sleep.. I'm sitting here in the dark looking into my tank..(not that I can see or do anything else) racking my brain. Lol! I turn the lights on around 10-11am and shut them down around 9-10 pm. It fluctuates with the amount of natural light that comes in. Winter season I have them on the above, summer they're on for shorter times. The tank itself isn't in any direct sunlight but the house is brighter during different times and I didn't think they needed the extra light on them. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

Get a timer, it makes life easier! My lights come on at 3:30pm and off at 10:00pm

That would make life easier wouldn't it. Right now I'm saving for better filtration for the 65 gal. I built the filtration on my discus tank but the same system won't work on the 65. I don't have enough room underneath to set it all up.

That would make life easier wouldn't it. Right now I'm saving for better filtration for the 65 gal. I built the filtration on my discus tank but the same system won't work on the 65. I don't have enough room underneath to set it all up.

A timer is cheap, tell the hubby to pick one up on the way home from work., since he loves the hobby so much I'm sure he won't mind :)

Certainly the cracked thermometer could have been having an effect on the tank. Mostly however I would have expected it to be in regards to heat and/or electricity rather than parameter issues, but its hard to say. Often when one thing goes out of wack, it can affect others. How are things today?

So today .. Well shall we say .. What's the expression? Poop rolls downhill? Ran more tests this morning ammonia was .25 still nitrite 0 nitrate 0 did a pwc 25% left it to get dressed (yes I was still in pjs) heard a big bang and kind of a fizzle noise ran downstairs found my air pump fell off the shelf busted through the top of my tank and was sitting half on the hob and the top of my heater. Grabbed it out, pumps shot the top of the heater (blue plastic part) is cracked, fish looked totally freaked out. Everyone was hiding. The door part on the tank lid is busted. (The lid was actually sitting in my tank!) Sooo... Needless to say my hubby is going to be extremely upset with me when he checks the bank account because.. I couldn't just leave things like that. I went out got a new pump picked up a new heater (had to recalibrate it) That's when d'uh I also noticed the temp in my tank was really high compared to what I had it set at. I had it set 76-79 and the new digital thermometer I picked up (to replace the busted one) said the tank was at 84! No wonder my fishes were gasping. Poor lil guys were cooking. Still doesn't explain the spike though. Or do you think it may have something to do with it?

So today .. Well shall we say .. What's the expression? Poop rolls downhill? Ran more tests this morning ammonia was .25 still nitrite 0 nitrate 0 did a pwc 25% left it to get dressed (yes I was still in pjs) heard a big bang and kind of a fizzle noise ran downstairs found my air pump fell off the shelf busted through the top of my tank and was sitting half on the hob and the top of my heater. Grabbed it out, pumps shot the top of the heater (blue plastic part) is cracked, fish looked totally freaked out. Everyone was hiding. The door part on the tank lid is busted. (The lid was actually sitting in my tank!) Sooo... Needless to say my hubby is going to be extremely upset with me when he checks the bank account because.. I couldn't just leave things like that. I went out got a new pump picked up a new heater (had to recalibrate it) That's when d'uh I also noticed the temp in my tank was really high compared to what I had it set at. I had it set 76-79 and the new digital thermometer I picked up (to replace the busted one) said the tank was at 84! No wonder my fishes were gasping. Poor lil guys were cooking. Still doesn't explain the spike though. Or do you think it may have something to do with it?

That's. good expression lol. The heat could explain the gasping, but I don't know about the parameters.

Well whatever caused it seems to be over with now. My numbers are all back to normal. Chalk it up to yet another fishy mystery. Thanks for all the input everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom