I'm doing a fish less cycle and I am confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pogfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm about 4 weeks into the cycle ( I haven't been keeping track ) and am starting to get confused.

I have a 50 gallon tank and this is my first tank thaat I've cycled. However I didn't do enough research and am now stumped,

My ammonia is at 0.25 PpM

Nitrate at around 30ppm

Nitrite inbetween 0.50ppm and 1 ppm

And ph around 7.8

The thing that confuses me is the ammonia is at 0.25 ppm.

I'm about 4 weeks into the cycle ( I haven't been keeping track ) and am starting to get confused.

I have a 50 gallon tank and this is my first tank thaat I've cycled. However I didn't do enough research and am now stumped,

My ammonia is at 0.25 PpM

Nitrate at around 30ppm

Nitrite inbetween 0.50ppm and 1 ppm

And ph around 7.8

The thing that confuses me is the ammonia is at 0.25 ppm.
I would not sweat the Ammonia. It will come down to zero soon enough. Its good you have Nitrites, your tank is cycling. But I would do water changes if you had fish. Really, I have never done a fishless cycle. :hide::band:

You are pretty much on track. A few questions.

- How much ammonia are you dosing?
- What are your parameters 24 hours after dosing?

Also, check your ammonia test with bottled water and compare against your 0.25ppm tank water. You know that bottled water will be 0ppm and this can sometimes look like 0.25ppm.

I think you’re doing fine. I’ve never done a fish less cycle, so I’m not sure how long it takes. My only other suggestion would be to test the nitrate level in your water supply so you know how much the tank is actually producing. My water runs around 5 coming out of the tap.

Back
Top Bottom