I'm Horrible at Aquascaping - Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coco1019

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any advice?

I just put the stuff in there so not all of it has to stay. I tried making it pretty, but I'm hopeless.

In there now are three mopani driftwood pieces to the left, three small chunks of lava rock, one big lava rock and a small piece of driftwood to the right of that.

2 - Anubias Nana
1 - Moss Ball
2 - Crypt Wednetti Red
2 - Crypt Nevillii
2 - Java Fern

In the garage I also have an assortment of manzanita wood.

Where should I move things?

Attachments

• image-1950207490.jpg
    image-1950207490.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Here's a site to check out tons of tanks... Your Tanks - Browsing

I'd move the big rock so 1/3 of it is on the right of the center line and 2/3 on the left of the center line. See if you can raise the substrate like a hill on the left side using a couple little rocks to help hold it up if needed. Also do you have a larger piece of wood that is more in size balance with the rock? Something bigger you could use on the left of the rock? Your going to have to play with it but get your large items in first how you like, the add some plants around those pieces where you like, then look at the rock, wood, and plants you have left and play around with them. Or try drawing something out. I've tweeked my tank several times in the past year trying to just get it the way I want it. You'll get the hang of it, just don't get discouraged.

You are not horrible.....there is no horrible in scaping. Random is good when trying to get that natural look. The last thing you want is for it to look systematic, or planned. You'll get it. Part of the intrigue is moving everything around to get that scene that satisfies the eye.

I'd first make a valley in the center left and use that gravel to make a nice hill on the left side of the tank.

The rock and wood on the left would look nice if you moved it over to the right by about 3-4 inches so you could have some nice tall plants around the sides and back of it. That wood could be repositioned to stand taller, too. That would really make it a showpiece.

I like the right side quite a bit from what I can see. You have a very solid start!

Lemme tell ya, I hated planted those crypts. I really need to get some anchors.

I switched some things up a bit and tried to stack the wood a little higher to balance more with the rock. Unfortunately, I don't have any bigger pieces. I also tried to make a little hill, but don't know how successful that was.

The only plants that absolutely can't move are the ferns attached to the driftwood on the far right.

Does it look better? Sorry for the glare. I have two huge windows without drapes. Nice to see the lake, horrible for pictures.

I also have another small rock (like the one in the middle) that I removed and can add back in if necessary.

Attachments

• image-141589541.jpg
    image-141589541.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
It's definitely getting better but you know that hateful had to plant large crypt on the left side.... it would really look good planted about an inch over in front of the left side of the big rock. It would add height and help break up the expanse of rock. Then the wood with the java fern to the far right, can you move it forward just a little and to the left so it's kind of balanced between the jutting out part of the rock and the glass. Just curious as to what plant that is planted behind the big rock in the middle just barely peeking out?

Rivercats said:
It's definitely getting better but you know that hateful had to plant large crypt on the left side.... it would really look good planted about an inch over in front of the left side of the big rock.

So just a little left of where the moss ball is now?

rivercats said:
Then the wood with the java fern to the far right, can you move it forward just a little and to the left so it's kind of balanced between the jutting out part of the rock and the glass.

Yep. And when I was checking out the pictures after, I did notice that it needed to be moved. I thought I had it more towards the front, too.

rivercats said:
Just curious as to what plant that is planted behind the big rock in the middle just barely peeking out?

It's crypt nevilli and I want to move it but I'm not sure where. I thought it got taller than what I just found out. I would love to have some tall green back there, though.

Yes, just left of the moss ball. One trick I learned if you have a crypt or sword that has too short of roots to stay down at first just take a couple rocks and use them to hold the plant down by gently wedging the plant between them. In a few weeks you can remove the rocks and the plant will be solidly rooted. Some Corkscrew Val put along that back would look good. It's an easy plant to grow and would fill that area nicely.

I'll do that then and move the crypts. Where should I put the ones that are in the middle back now?

Coco1019 said:
You're kind to say that. :) It's a 55.

Cool I have a 60 that I'm scaping right now! It's got sand substrate and driftwood. Right now I only have anubias and and anacharis.

I'm hoping you have three and if you do I would make a triange (so they all grow making it look like there is one huge crypt) planting the first one right in the little niche on the far left front driftwood arm. That first one behind the middle arm all the way in to where it would be right around the little nub that shoots toward the back. Then crypt two right about an inch off the end of the middle main branch. Then number three right to the side of the front nub, even with it or a touch back from it towards the main arm.

I only have two, but can easily get a third.

Is this what you meant? I moved the little rock that was in the middle to the far left just to get it out of my way.

Thank you so much for your help, too. :)

Attachments

• image-1871424056.jpg
    image-1871424056.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image-722058042.jpg
    image-722058042.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 93
  • image-285367000.jpg
    image-285367000.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 88
Yep but if you could get a couple smaller crypts like Wendtii Red or Bronze and put one on the left side of the front nub in front of the main arm and then on the other side of the tank one to go in the empty hole/area between the big rock and that piece of DW you moved. Then I'd let everything fill in before you decide if you wan to do anything else.

Rivercats said:
Yep but if you could get a couple smaller crypts like Wendtii Red or Bronze and put one on the left side of the front nub in front of the main arm.

The lady told me that the tall, lanky one I have in there now (the one I moved from the back left corner to in front of the rock) was a wendtii red. Was she wrong?

Rivercats said:
...then on the other side of the tank one to go in the empty hole/area between the big rock and that piece of DW you moved.

Looking at it from straight on, you mean the hole from left to right, correct? Not front to back. If that even makes sense.

Yeah from left to right, right off the tip of the DW you moved but about an inch or so forward. Wow that is the strangest or maybe lankiest crypt I've ever seen. I attached a picture and the plant almost dead center right in front is a Crypt Wendtii Bronze. It's about 1/4 of the size it was before I split it up a few weeks ago. They can get really big but I've just never seen one so lanky with such few leaves. Give it a root tab and hopefully new growth will come in thick and full like the picture.

Attachments

• tank 4.jpg
    tank 4.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom