im new to the site but not the fish can someone help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy may

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well I've had 4 tanks up and running for 3 years now, I got a great deal on a 180 gallon that I'm trying to set up now and I'm having problems, problem #1: I have no patients problem #2: I put all the water from my 60 gallon into the 180 gallon because the pet store told me that that would cut out the cycling, then added new water with conditioner, I did just as they said but my water is very cloudy and I don't know why! The fish don't seem to care, they are still very active but I don't want my fish to die if there's somekind of problem with the water! Can someone please help me A.S.A.P.
I'm running kind of a crappy filter(slightly undersized) for about 3 days till I get my wet dry sump finished, but I don't THINK that's the problem

Cloudy water can be a sign of a bacterial bloom. It can happen if you didn't cycle your tank. If you did cycle, it may be a mini-cycle caused by replacing filter media.

Could be caused by your substrate give it a few days to settle also there's not a lot of BB in your water, better to use the media from your old filter to help build up your Bacti-base. test your water for AMO and nitrAtes as you most likely will have a cycle :(

Is this a FW or SW tank? I`m assuming SW. Your fish store gave you some bad advice. Nothing wrong with using the water but the nitrifying bacteria resides on surfaces and not in the water.

Thank you eveyone!
Its a fresh water tank, I used the old filter, and media off my(way over sized) 60 gallon that all the fish and decorations came out of. The only things that are new are the tank, graval, and some water. I just don't get it:-( but its not bothering the fish at all.
I checked the ammonia and nitrate levels and the ammonia is fine and the nitrate levels are just a smidgen high.

The person who told you to transfer your water in order to avoid having to go thru the process of cycling the tank needs to get some knowledge into their head. There is very little beneficial bacteria in the water...almost none. It did no harm to use the old water, but it did very little toward helping the cycling process. Far more important that you used your old filter, without letting the media dry out during the transfer. You will probably have a mini-cycle, but it will be less dramatic than a full-on cycle.

The cloudiness could be fine debris from the new gravel (did you rinse it heavily before putting it in?). Or a bacteria bloom. Can you give us test results?

I think that it is the gravel, I keep testing the water and it seems fine and its starting to clear up pretty nicely, maybe I rushed it when I washed it!
Thank you for all your advice
Once I get it decorated I will post some pictures it should look nice! Hopefully, lol

Back
Top Bottom