Im stumped =[

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

himdie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ibe got a 40g breeder and everything was looking good my corys were layng eggs everywhere my shrimp have eggs and my gbr finaly laid eggs and they hatched and the male was guarding them well but now the female is on guard duty and the male is gasping at the surface! I just did a big water change but before that my params where amm 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates > 20 soo I dont know why its happening

All my cories and female gbr are fine so are the shrimp, ottos and neons my tanks is also moderatly planted and I dose pps pro with liquid carbon which I stopped when the gbr fry showed as too not hurt them (dont know if it would)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any idea what could be wrong with him?

Ive got a nice flow aqua clear 70 hob good oxygenation ive been reading online that alot of people seem to have that prob not sure what it is and its always the males lol

I mean I had him for like 5 months

Honedtly they said gill flukes but im not too sure they all died in the posts even with meds

Mine died this morn 2 =[ he left a wife and 200 kids may he rest in peace >< hope the mom does ok csring for the fry

No, not too sure on gill flukes either.

I'm wondering if they run themselves into the ground somehow - like they should swim around or something but must stay to protect the fry. But I'm just guessing.

Could the liquid carbon have deoxygenated the water ?

Pressurized co2 at high amounts will kill a fish quickly..

I know fish can be sensitive too it but not sure if it is very reactive. I've stopped/started dosing when adding new fish with no problems but mine are pretty common hardy fish. And I only dose slightly above recommended.

Could the liquid carbon have deoxygenated the water ?

Pressurized co2 at high amounts will kill a fish quickly..

Liquid carbon isn't actual CO2. It's just a complex carbon molecule that plants can absorb in leiu of CO2 so it has no bearing on fish breathing. That isn't what did it at all.

The most common culprit is gill flukes. After that I would say a bacterial infection. It's really quite hard to tell with GBR since they are soo sensitive.

It was weird thiugh he showed no outward signs until he was gasping and then dead inside 24 hours

Im thinking it was stress and exhaustion since he was with the fry most of the time

Haha yea but gotta c how many make it so far so good prob be free swimming soon

Unfortunately a stressed fish is very vulnerable fish. Depressed immune systems allow disease to strike just like us.

Probably the stress of guarding and rearing the eggs/fry has left him stressed and vulnerable.

The sudden stopping of pps has to be noted also. Sudden changes to water chemistry can make a fish stressed too.

The momma and her babies

Attachments

• 1401324335537.jpg
    1401324335537.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom