I'm such an idiot...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parasite Host

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
SO NEWBISH!!!

I recently bought a 2" Frontosa. Now, this was an impulse buy, even though it cost $30... I would like to know if this was a rip off, because They only tried to sell me one, and they gave me a frequent customer discount... That dropped the price to $23.99 which is roughly 20% off. ( 8O :D )

After buying the fish, I couldn't find what size tank to put it in, so I plopped it into a 30 gallon, and it immediately went to the bottom of the tank. I couldn't find an agreed on max size, nor a recommended tank size [I've heard and read everything from 55 gallons to 125 Gallons, depending on how may you keep, and they recommended keeping them in a harem (I think thats 3, 2 females 1 male)]. In the morning, I was missing 1 of my fish - a 7 inch tire track eel. My friend came over the next day to feed the fish and found the eel with a huge bite out of it, about yay big- ___________ - My eel I later remembered, may have already been dead. I can't do anything about, except hope he has a good afterlife. :cry:

Of course, somebody is going to tell me that it needs to be housed in a tank that is too big for my house (it is a big house, but already has 2 aquariums in it and in january, it will be 3). The maximum size tank I can afford is 55 Gallons. (And only 55 gallons, no more, no less, because it is supposed to be a gift from my cousin.)

I have about 30 dollars if anyone suggests that i need another one. I would also like to know how to tell the differences between male/female frontosas.

Thanks for the help.

Frontosas are African Cichlids. They will max out in the aquarium about 12". Being Africans they do best in hard, alkaline water. When mature the males develop a very large hump on the head. It would be impossible to sex them at 2".

Back
Top Bottom