I'm sure this isnt a problem but I've never seen it before..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LazySlacker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had a 10 gallon tank since about last february. I didnt do so well at first with fish keeping, but I've gotten better and have had a well established and healthy tank since about July. I was doing a water change today and I noticed in the water that I vacuumed out of the tank that there were really small white worms swimming around near the surface of the water. they werent more than the thickness of a piece of fine string.

I'm sure this is very common and the worms may have been around for a long time, but I have not been aware of them before now. I thought I would ask this forum about them. I'd like to know if they're bad for my aquarium.

More than likely they are nemtodes. These guys are quite normal but should be removed when you see them. They can be deterred with proper maintenance and careful feeding.

I agree. Harmless nematodes/planaria. They can "bloom" in numbers when there is an overabundance of nutrients in your tank. Feed less, or vaccum your gravel more often, and they will go away.

Back
Top Bottom