Importance of solenoid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking into getting a pressurized co2 system for my 10g planted and was wondering how important a solenoid is for a tank. Will the pH swings be too much for my fish? Also, would a bubbler on a timer be enough to counteract the buildup of co2 at night?

A solenoid is very important because it shuts the flow of co2 off when you nightime mode on the timer kicks in. You only want co2 running when the lights are on. The plants do not consume co2 in the night.

Are you getting a paintball or full sized regulator? I use paintball, particularly Aquatek's paintball regulator which has a solenoid. I find it very useful in conserving your co2 and prolonging the need to get refills. At night when they lights are off, the plants don't need co2 so it's best to not waste it. pH swings are not really an issue, my fish and shrimp tolerate it. I use a drop checker to make sure I'm in the "green" when the photoperiod begins... everything on timers! Co2 starts 3 hours before lights, shuts off 2 hours before lights do.

No airstone at night, unless you don't have any surface agitation.

I was either going to get the aquatek paintball regulator or a cheaper needle valve with gauge. I don't have a ton of surface agitation because its a betta tank and I'm trying to keep the flow down for him.

I'd get the Aquatek. No need for an airstone.. bettas can get air from the surface if a lot of co2 is not off gased.

I'd get the Aquatek. No need for an airstone.. bettas can get air from the surface if a lot of co2 is not off gased.

I have some Cory cats and soon will have a few otos as well. I just figured the more I saved on co2 the more I can spend on plants :) but yeah, I think you're right the aquatek is the way ill go.

Yeah definitely.. you'll save money in the long run by not having to get refills as often. Definitely get the solenoid and timer.

Back
Top Bottom