In fish cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ammonia spiked to 3ppm, noticed betta was lethargic, losing appetite and slightly pine-coning. Showing classic signs of ammonia poisoning.

I did a 90 percent water change and that brought the ammonia down to 0ppm.

My tank is now in the process of cycling with fish in the tank. LAst time i cycled i did it with no fish and pure liquid ammonia.

How many water changes should i do if in in-fish cycling? Nitrites havent shown up yet. Im only in the early stages of ammonia and lots of algae growing.

You should do a water change when there is any sign of ammonia for your bettas sake. During a fish in cycle this will probably mean daily water changes.

Why are you cycling the tank again? If I read it correctly..

Caleb

You should do a water change when there is any sign of ammonia for your bettas sake. During a fish in cycle this will probably mean daily water changes.

Why are you cycling the tank again? If I read it correctly..

Caleb

Hi Caleb,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been doing 50-90 per cent daily water changes, depending on the ammonia level.

I had to cycle the tank again because (i believe) medication (triple sulfa) killed the beneficial bacteria in my filter.

Hi Caleb,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been doing 50-90 per cent daily water changes, depending on the ammonia level.

I had to cycle the tank again because (i believe) medication (triple sulfa) killed the beneficial bacteria in my filter.

Oh okay. Just keep testing and water changes and he should be fine :)

Caleb

Oh okay. Just keep testing and water changes and he should be fine :)

Caleb

He is not looking well at all even though I have managed to get the ammonia down. Black gills, heavy breathing, pine coning, not eating unless i use tweezers to put food near his mouth, popeye. The pine coning says to me that his kidneys are failing, classic dropsy. Im not sure what else can cause pine coning? Fish TB? God, i hope not.
I put him in a little net thing near the surface so he can get air via labyrinth as i think his gills are burned from ammonia. I feel so sorry for the poor guy. I think I might have to sadly euthanize with clove oil.. I hate to see him struggle or be uncomfortable. I think the stress has caused some type of infection (causing the dropsy/pineconing and other symptoms)

What do you think? Each day he just seems to be getting worse... Ive tried AQ salt and medication but this just seems to suppress his immune system even more. He is about 2 years old also.

Back
Top Bottom