In middle of columnaris outbreak - how to proceed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobriaclord

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

There was an outbreak of columnaris in my tank last week. I lost all of my java loaches pretty suddenly and three of my cory catfish. I have dosed my 37 gallon tank with 20 mL of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution as well 1 tbls of aquarium salt per five gallons. Before adding the peroxide yesterday afternoon, I took out my filter media and put it in a ziploc plastic bag. Since I added the peroxide, the fish have lost the fungus-like stuff growing on them and have become more active. I am wondering how I should proceed - should I do water changes and re-add the peroxide, re-add the salt? when do I add the filter media back? when will I know the coast is clear?

In my tank I currently have
4 or so juvenile neon swordtails
5 neon tetras (one has a whitish look to him)
4 bronze cory catfish (some are juveniles)
1 bolivian ram

Thank you for all your help.

EDIT: I have been doing 50% water changes a lot this week. I did one 50% change before I added the hydrogen peroxide.

If the infection is visibly gone then it's likely that the infection has passed. I would be sure to keep the water parameters pristine over the next few days and keep a close eye on everything.

Hydrogen peroxide degrades very quickly when exposed to light and air which is why it's always in those dark brown bottles. You could safely dose the tank with hydrogen peroxide daily and not have to worry about there being a build up since it breaks down into hydrogen and oxygen.

When should I put the filter media back in? Should I do a water change and add another dose of hydrogen peroxide just to be sure?

How long has your filter media been in the bag?

If it's been in there for long then it's very likely that most of the bacteria is dead at this point since they need air to live as well. It wouldn't hurt to do another water change and add another dose of hydrogen peroxide. I would add the filter media back in 1 hour after you do that.

Back
Top Bottom