In need of moral support!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My amono shrimp seem to be making some head way in the hair algae. Are they an option for you?

OOoh good to know thanks Emily - I was just researching and reading about them. The only problem is I see they are only ok up to 80 degrees and I was planning on rams which need at least 81 to 82 degrees so looks like I can't have both.

I have tried spot treating with excel but that seems to have failed miserably so I am going to get some hydrogen peroxide and start spot treating it with that. Have you tried that yet?

No, and that's probably why my rams keep dying. I have the tank at 80. Which I thought one degree wouldn't be a big deal, it's a little warm for the danios so it's the best compromise I could come up with. If my last two gbrs die I won't get any more for this tank. Maybe start an OTHER tank. If we MUST have them. I was never such a fan but the bf really wanted them. But the last two seem pretty healthy so here's hoping.

No, and that's probably why my rams keep dying. I have the tank at 80. Which I thought one degree wouldn't be a big deal, it's a little warm for the danios so it's the best compromise I could come up with. If my last two gbrs die I won't get any more for this tank. Maybe start an OTHER tank. If we MUST have them. I was never such a fan but the bf really wanted them. But the last two seem pretty healthy so here's hoping.

Ya I think they really need 82-84 degrees so I think you're 2 degrees below what they really need. BUT I've seen people say consistency is more important than ideal conditions. I don't know though.....

Where did you get the rams? On another thread one of the experienced folks was saying rams from big box stores are usually a poor strain and die quickly. You need get them from a reputable breeder.....but maybe you did?

We got four each from two mom and pop fish stores. The four balloon rams came from a place that turned out to be pretty shady. They didn't really know much about the fish they were selling or even the hard ware. Three died the first two days and the fourth paired up with a gbr and spawned twice before his demise. The four gbrs came from a much better store, but we only have two left. I suspect some of them died from fighting because the breeding pairs would spawn then the next day the eggs would be gone and one of then would be dead. Then the other would die a few days later.

I also noticed they only protect their eggs from each other any of the other fish can go right in the nest and they ignore then but if a ram gets with in a foot of it they freak out. They're in a 180g planted (the one that is the babe of my existence)

Even in larger tanks it's hard to keep more than a single pair of rams. However, keeping them at 80 degrees isn't going to kill them. They are very fragile fish and might have been in poor health when you got them which seems to be more likely to me.

Omg! We could totally go pick them up from there! I hate the idea of shipping then. They're only like two hours from me.

Still a newbie myself! I have to say that research is key. This forum is particularly helpful. My plants are doing ok, my tank isn't as lush as I want but for me it's the challenge of getting it where I want it to be that brings the enjoyment. Also knowing that my swimmers are enjoying a more balanced environment :) Keep at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Still a newbie myself! I have to say that research is key. This forum is particularly helpful. My plants are doing ok, my tank isn't as lush as I want but for me it's the challenge of getting it where I want it to be that brings the enjoyment. Also knowing that my swimmers are enjoying a more balanced environment :) Keep at it!

Yes I agree research is important and I have done lots of if though it isn't always a good thing as different people say different things so sometimes I end up more confused than I started! But yes of course in general research helps.

Thanks I appreciate the encouragement.

True! I guess it's taking the information and applying it to your situation :)

Goodness nothing fancy about me I assure you! Let me know if you get the rams from yunite. I am curious to know how it works out.

I'm sure eventually we will check them out but for now we need to focus on getting the monster tank under control and prevent any more swimmers from dying. So far we are on a roll. No one has died in a week. :-/ sad right? Most people don't celebrate this. But I'll take the small victory. And the b/g algae is starting to go away.

Have you tried breaking the light cycle up? I'm curious how it works. We are going to attempt that starting today too.

Know of any local angel breeders? Eventually I want a centerpiece rare looking angel. All of my veils have died. Once everything is under control maybe I'll get a pair.

For all the drama in my tank you'd think I'd have lost some khulis but they seem so happy. I have a school of 9 and they're always running around. They're supposed to be the most sensitive right?

Ohhhh yes! And after I got home I checked and my 180 is at 82 degrees. I did lose 3:7 Amano shrimp the first week we got them. Maybe that's why. But it doesn't explain the rams now. And my danios seem okay. Those danios are so hardy and forgiving.

I'm sure eventually we will check them out but for now we need to focus on getting the monster tank under control and prevent any more swimmers from dying. So far we are on a roll. No one has died in a week. :-/ sad right? Most people don't celebrate this. But I'll take the small victory. And the b/g algae is starting to go away.

Have you tried breaking the light cycle up? I'm curious how it works. We are going to attempt that starting today too.

Know of any local angel breeders? Eventually I want a centerpiece rare looking angel. All of my veils have died. Once everything is under control maybe I'll get a pair.

For all the drama in my tank you'd think I'd have lost some khulis but they seem so happy. I have a school of 9 and they're always running around. They're supposed to be the most sensitive right?

Ohhhh yes! And after I got home I checked and my 180 is at 82 degrees. I did lose 3:7 Amano shrimp the first week we got them. Maybe that's why. But it doesn't explain the rams now. And my danios seem okay. Those danios are so hardy and forgiving.

Yes I have tried the light thing but it does not seem to be helping, but I think I know what's causing my algae. This article seems to apply to my situation: Nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4) don’t cause algae. Ammonia does!! - Aquarium-fertilizer.com

This is totally it with my plants. Those that have algae are the ones that are not healthy so this is totally it for me! Just ordered pps pro pack and hope that solves my issues.

Re angel breeders - sorry I don't know any.

Sorry to hear you've been having such issues with keeping the fish alive. Sounds like things have improved - I hope it will all good for you now. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!! Let me know how it goes.

Ha, my kuhlis are always happy. Everyone says theyre sensitive to me too, but ive never had that experience.
I had a 55 g tank with them covered with algae. 2 bn plecos later im adding algae intentionally :rolleyes:
Im also looking for some easy plants for that tank, i need a plant win.

Ha, my kuhlis are always happy. Everyone says theyre sensitive to me too, but ive never had that experience.
I had a 55 g tank with them covered with algae. 2 bn plecos later im adding algae intentionally :rolleyes:
Im also looking for some easy plants for that tank, i need a plant win.

What kind of algae was it? I could do with some help with mine but I don't think they eat hair algae....

Mine was multiple types of green algae. Some people have told me they dont eat hair algae.
I have been told that angelfish and flagfish eat it. Ive never tried it though.

Mine was multiple types of green algae. Some people have told me they dont eat hair algae.
I have been told that angelfish and flagfish eat it. Ive never tried it though.

OH ok thx. Yes mine is hair algae. I know amano shrimp eat it but I want rams and the water would be too warm for them. I will look up flagfish.....thx.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom