In research phase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jltucker229

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, All,
I am Jessica and am highly interested In Beginning a reef aquarium in the very near future. I am still in the research phase. I want to begin with 5-6 fish, some inverts, and some soft corals. I have my eye set on a 60 gallon tank to begin. I have been reading and have heard some confusing information on what type of equipment to use for a larger tank. I hear hang on back filters are good for smaller tanks but I am unsure about larger tanks. Any information you can give me on proper equipment and tank size would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Jessica

Jessica

Also from you more experienced people, what brands of aquariums and equipment have you had the best experience with?

Jessica

I would definitely get a reef ready with a built in overflow so you can do a sump.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

remember everything in saltwater you should do slow rushing causes nothing but issues

this article should help you understand step 1 cycling

Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

once you finish through your cycle you will be ready for step 2 livestock
remember add livestock slowly over time , be sure the fish you choose are compatible
and will fit in a tank your size and are reef safe live aquara has a good selection of nano fish , but since you have a bigger tank you can add 1 or 2 bigger fish but worry about that once you get there

Saltwater Fish Compatibility Guides - Aquarium Advice

Very helpful articles. The raw shrimp idea for cycling is brilliant

Jessica

You could also do live rock. I used live rock in both of my reef tanks and they cycled in under 3 weeks. Agree with others pertaining to stocking though. Go slow to ensure success.

For your first aquarium would get sand or no sand?

Jessica

I'm with you guys. Prefer the look of sand on the bottom. Not a deep bed, just like the bottom covered.

Thanks a lot for the input. I definitely like the look of sand more but is it more to maintain?

Jessica

Also, I am struggling deciding on the size of a tank. I was thinking the 55 gallon but I am starting to think smaller bc of budget constraints. Also, is an RO machine and protein skimmer essential for a reef aquarium? (I'm asking bc it is also a budget concern. These are not cheap items)

Jessica

I'd definitely get an rodi machine and skimmer for a reef tank. I'd go with a 40 breeder over a 55 though, better dimensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think a shallow sand bed is pretty easy to maintain. Plus with sand you will see all kinds of "critters" emerge.

Update: I bit the bullet and bought a 36 gallon starter aquarium!!! So excited to begin.

Jessica

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454788087.128392.jpg

My new tank is up and running. Now to cycle and wait.

Jessica

Back
Top Bottom