In Sump Skimmer Reccomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_marie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am upgrading from a 60gallon tank to a 90gallon with 40gallon sump. I've already got the tank but I'm trying to get everything in order before switching everything over.

I'm looking for an in sump skimmer for my new set up. The skimmer I have currently, for my 60g, I have liked very much but it just won't be enough for the 90g plus sump.

This is one I'm leaning towards

Bubble Magus Curve 7 in Sump Needle Wheel Protein Skim | eBay

I'd like a skimmer rated for around what the one above is, up to around 250g or so. That way I'll have some leeway when I upgrade any in the future, which I'm sure I'll do.

I also thought about this one

ASM G-3 Protein Skimmer - AquaCave.com

I'm thinking the Bubble Magnus would be a better skimmer, higher quality and such, over the ASM. I'm not sure though.

Any advice on either or recommendations on another skimmer all together (for around the same price and gallon rating would be great) is appreciated.

This will be my first in sump skimmer and only my second skimmer purchase so I'm fairly new to skimmers/sumps.

I have a bubble magus NAC 3.5 and it is a very decent skimmer. Their prices are pretty good, for the quality you get. I would imagine the quality is similar on the larger model you linked.

I'd recommend buying off Bulk Reef Supply instead of eBay. They have great customer service should anything go wrong, and if you get in on a group buy, it will be discounted somewhat (I think -- sometimes large scale items like this aren't discounted, but you could call or email to see). They also ship free for orders over $175.

I believe someone is putting together a group buy to start next week:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f9/brs-group-buy-march-12-a-251153.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply! Happy to hear a good review about the Bubble Magnus.

I wasn't exactly set on purchasing off of Ebay, just used that for a link.

I did actually see the group buy and was wondering whether a skimmer would be discounted or not. BRS does not have the particular skimmer I linked though. They do carry the Bubble Magus BM-NAC7 Cone Protein Skimmer but its rated less than the other linked above.

I'd like a skimmer rated for around 200g-250g and around the same price as the two in the links. I'm just not familar with either brand and don't know if there are others with similar prices/ratings/etc that would be a better option.

My bad! I thought I linked the same skimmer. Didn't look closely enough. For what it is worth, I believe BRS actually lowers the tank size from the manufactures recommendation, since they are often over rated - so the tank size recommendation on BRS is actually realistic.

I have also heard great things about the reef octopus skimmers:
Reef Octopus NWB200 8

Though I have no personal experience with them. Others on here have, and never heard a negative comment that I can think of.

My bad! I thought I linked the same skimmer. Didn't look closely enough. For what it is worth, I believe BRS actually lowers the tank size from the manufactures recommendation, since they are often over rated - so the tank size recommendation on BRS is actually realistic.
No problem, I'm not really sure what the difference is between the two right off other than the rating I noticed. I may need to look more into that one, especially if it could be discounted.

That I do know. The skimmer I'm using on my 60g currently is rated at 100g according to them, I've seen where it shows manufacturers rating and BRS rating. I've been referring to their site to compare ratings on skimmers. I know most anything like that would be overrated by the manufacturer. I've got the Reef Octopus BH 2000 that they carry and have been happy with it, just not enough for the upgrade.

I have also heard great things about the reef octopus skimmers:
Reef Octopus NWB200 8

Though I have no personal experience with them. Others on here have, and never heard a negative comment that I can think of.

I have been really happy with the HOB Reef Octopus I am currently running on my 60g (as mentioned in my last post, apparently I was typing when you post when through :lol:).

I had looked into others besides the Reef Octopus, comparing prices and all. I was thinking initially that the one I linked in the original post were a better deal based on rating but I was not taking into account the more realistic ratings by BRS at that time. Which is putting the Reef Octopus back as an option.

Do you think the one you linked would be enough if I was to upgrade to say a 125g or so?

Thats something else I'm trying to consider. Just spent $200 on the HOB Reef Octopus I have and now need to purchase another skimmer because I went and upgraded. I know it would be another 1-2 before another upgrade though because of where I live but it'd still be nice to not have to purchase yet another skimmer.

I would use the BM over the ASM. The 8" Octo has a pretty large footprint, and may not fit in your 40 (15.6" x 10.25").

I would use the BM over the ASM. The 8" Octo has a pretty large footprint, and may not fit in your 40 (15.6" x 10.25").
Thanks for the reply.

Ah yeah, I had forgot about footprint. I meant to mention that as well, I was just trying to take that into account too since it hadn't came to mind when I first began looking at skimmers.

This is my sump/fuge, came new with the 90g, used, I purchased from Craigslist.
Eshopps ADV-300 Advance Sump - Up to 300 gal. | ThatPetPlace.com

The area for the skimmer is around 26" long and around 11 3/4"wide I believe.

Any other recommendations on skimmers other than the ones or brands I've linked? I'd like to stay around the $300 price range if possible, taking into account the size of sump mentioned above, and one that would be sufficient for an upgrade to say a 125g or so in the next 1-2 years.

Not too familiar with what all is out there yet and don't want to purchase one and wish I would have went with another.

Back
Top Bottom