in the middle of my cycle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nzpv03

Aquarium Advice Regular
so all of a sudden my tank got REALLY clouded and my ammonia spiked through the roof...like the highest it can go on a test kit...so i did an emergency 30% PWC and bought some USED filter media from an established tank from a local lfs and stuck it in there...it is still pretty cloudy but the fish look much more calm (it has been around 8 hours since the insertion of the media) how much longer am i looking at for my levels to stabilize?? and once i do hit 0 ppm of ammonia and nitrite can i take the ugly mesh bag out of the tank??

Well we need a little more info. How long has the tank been cycling? What are your other paramaters?

An amonia spike is normal for a cycling tank and this is why it is imperative to do a lot of PWC if you have fish

What size tank, what inhabitants? How long has it been set up? What are the exact numbers of your parameters? How often are you doing water changes? Are you testing the water after water changes? If so how long after?

Sorry for all the questions but more information is needed.

hey! I didnt get notifications via email that you guys replied! im sorry for that...it is a 55 gallon with an electic yellow and snow white socolfi....ammonia: .25 nitrite: .5 and nitrate...tba...the fish are doing AWESOME...and looking goodit has been set up for over a month now i do 10% water changes everday and i wait like 5 hours after i change water to test it...

PWC

You are on your way but you have to keep doing PWC and more like 40-50% than 10%

Someitmes it takes awhile to cycle a tank. The used filter may help but if you are still showing ANY amount of amonia and nitrites it can be very harmfull to the fish, even in small amounts.

Keep on doing frequent PWC's for the fish and you will finish. Maybe another couple of weeks.

Good Luck

I have always used the product Cycle after a friend of mine introduced it to me years ago. I have always had great success with the product and never have experienced any problems introducing fish to an aquarium using it. I can put 10X 3" fish in a tank without the traditional cycle period and not have problems. Just follow the directions and enjoy the hobby! :lol:

For some reason the green Demon appered in my previous post. I can put 10/ 3" fish in an aquarium with Cycle and not have any problems.

ohh ok I'll step up the PWCs starting tomorrow...well the day after since i have surgery in like 10 hours! ahh! Cycle actually worked for you?? it didnt do a DANG thing for me! Stability by seachem worked wonders though!

ok so ammonia- less than .25 and nitrite .5.... any suggestions? I'm doing daily 25% pwc and using prime...my fish have never looked better! Eating habits haven't changed...still hungry as heck

Back
Top Bottom