In the process of fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,
I have just started fishless cycling my 30L tank. I finally found ammonia. I also have 2 live plants and added ceramic noodles to my box filter (which also has floss).
I rinsed the ceramic noodles before putting them in but my water seems cloudy and there appears to be a fine dust on the piece of driftwood I have. It can only be the noodles. Should I just leave it?
I added 1.5 ml ammonia, checked the levels and it was off the charts, so I did a 5L wc which brought it down to 4ppm. That was 2 days ago. I will check the levels today.
As I understand it, as soon as the ammonia levels are 1ppm I add more to get it back up to 4ppm? And by this point I start testing for nitrites?
Do I keep adding ammonia to keep it at 4ppm all the time until nitrites and nitrates are off the charts, then to PWC?
Thanks everyone!

Not sure about the cloudy water, it doesn't sound like a big deal at the moment, but you are correct about ammonia dosing

I'm sure everybody has their own variations. Here's how I do mine:

I only dose ammonia back up to 4ppm when it reaches 0ppm. Mostly because I don't want to do the math required to figure out how much ammonia I need to add to an X gallon tank that is currently reading Y ppm back up to 4ppm.

I do VERY large water changes (90%+) once or twice a week to keep the nitrites at a manageable level so that the cycle doesn't stall due to excessive nitrite levels.

Back
Top Bottom