Info on Satanoperca jurupari

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecoperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've loved these for about 20 years, so maybe time to plan for some. I've Googled my head off and I'm not finding too much basic information, especially from people who have actually kept them.

What size group in what size tank would be appropriate for these fish? The recommendations I've seen are "55 or larger", but a 55 seems far too small for a fish that gets that large. Any help would be appreciated, and thank you! :D

Nice looking fishes, I am not familiar with them but do know someone who might be. Toirtis may have these guys, or may have kept these guys at some point in time. I'd pm him and see if he has any info for you.

I keep one in my 48 gallon (36x24x13). Mine grew from about 2.5 inches to 5 in about 5 months. I'd reccomend a big tank. like the same swimming room as mine (36inches by 24)but deeper then 13 inches. I plan on getting a larger tank for when my cichlids are full grown. It is very peacefull and lives unnoticed with a green terror, jack dempsey and 2 severums. I love this fish too, the coolest thing about this fish id say is watching them eat the gravel and spit it back out ( where they get thier name "earth eater" from). Their spikey dorsal fin is also something different and nice .

I remember reading about 'em in a bulletin from the ACA a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly, the guy kept a group in a large tank (around 125g) with sand. He kept the water quality immaculate with large, frequent water changes. The adults in the pictures he submitted with the article were gorgeous.

Thanks, everyone :)-

I went out with a fishy friend today and saw a bunch of what I think were actually S. leucosticta at around 8", at two different stores. They were in 40-ish gallon tanks, which looked way too small. I hadn't seen any around for a while, then all these huge ones today--I still love 'em. I understand the S. leucosticta are often confused with S. jurupari...I need to edumacate myself a lot about the differences.

As part of my upgrading for my poor huge pleco, I got the 75 gallon today, up from 55. Next step is a big one-going to a 180. That should suit the cichlids!

Back
Top Bottom