Instant cycle. Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fizzler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon hex tank that is cycled and full of fish. I bought a 55 gallon recently to transfer my fish to. If I switch over all my media from the 29 to the 55 will it be instantly cycled ?

if you are going to transfer the filter,gravel, ornaments, and fish it will be like a larger water change imo.

I put in water conditioner when I added the new water to the 55 2 days ago. I will be transferring over all live plants and decor. But I did put a new substrate in the 55 so I won’t be adding the substrate from the 29 to the 55. Also the 55 came with a new filter, that being said I did put my sponge filter in it already from my 29 because the 29 still has the hang on filter running.

If you plan to discontinue the smaller tank, a better option, if possible, would be to run the filter from your smaller tank alongside the filter in your new larger tank for 2 or 3 weeks.

Remember that the beneficial bacteria will have grown sufficient for the stocking in your smaller tank. It wont support a fully stocked larger tank yet, so add in new stocking slowly, and test water parameters for spikes.

Oh ok it won't be a instant cycle but more like a jump start because you won't have the total amount of bacteria to start with so there will be a mini cycle. The bacteria should populate pretty quickly.

Do I still need to feed the tank to add flake food for a ammonia supply even though I added a old filter ?

Are you now planning on cycling the new tank before moving your fish? I thought your plan was to move your media and fish to the new tank.

If you are planning on cycling the tank first, you will be doing a fishless cycle. Here is a good fishless cycle guide.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/

If that's the route you are going, then move a small amount of your media to seed your new filter, but you need to leave enough in the old filter to support your fish while the new tank is cycling until you can move them.

If you are planning to move the media and fish over, do that in one go. Test daily for a period, and do water changes to deal with any spikes. Feed sparingly for a few days. Your fish waste will be the ammonia source, you dont need another source. If your plan on increasing your fish stock, dont add more fish until you are sure your new tank has settled properly, then add new fish in small numbers over a period of weeks. Say dont increase your stocking by more than 20% in any 2 week period.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom