Interested in planted tanks and oddball fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lillianne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody! I got into the hobby because my dad kept a saltwater tank when I was a teenager. The more research I did (and I’ve been doing a LOT of research) I realized I was more interested in freshwater planted tanks and rare/oddball fish. I’ve only just now been able to start cycling my first tank at 23 and I realized just how much I still don’t know, so any tips or knowledge that you have would be appreciated.

I just dealt with my first outbreak of Blackbeard algae (I think) and I intend to stock my tank with Vietnamese cardinal minnows. They’re a relative of the white cloud minnow and from what I’ve read they’re very hardy and breed fairly easily. Besides them I want to get some cherry shrimp and one or two Pom Pom crabs. I’m doing a heavily planted 6 gallon aquarium and I’m about to switch to a Fluval U2 filter that’s rated for up to 30 gallons because I was worried about the bio load I was putting on my system.

Welcome to the forum. Im looking forward to seeing and hearing about what you are getting up to.

Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a tank?

I am pretty familiar with both of them. I got two meters to constantly read the amount of ammonia and the ph in the tank so It’ll hopefully help me know when my tank is fully cycled. I did realize that I was over feeding the bacteria in my aquarium so I cleaned it and did a 50 percent water change but my ph is reading 5.4. I am on city water though, so could that be the reason?

Back
Top Bottom