Introducing Cichlids to others

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monte1214

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
- Currently I've got 2 big Mollies (4-6") a big Gourami (3") a couple smaller Mollies, two sharks (3"-4") and 6 Kuhli eels.

- I like the Cichlids I see a the LHS, but am told that they will destroy anything other than Cichlids in the tank.

- Would adding a couple cause major havoc or what?

Short answer: yes

I'm assuming you are seeing some form of mbuna africans and they will be far too aggressive for the community fish you have.

- Yeah, not too sure what kind they are, but I like them!
- I guess I'll have to wait for the "community" to thin out before I can get some.

- Thanks for the input.

It honestly depends on what kind they are. Some cichlids are very peaceful compared to some of the Africans. Since cichlids include so many fish, its impossible to give you an answer. Depending on your tank size, some may work. Fish like angels, rams, and apistos are commonly kept in community tanks. I dont have any first hand experience with them, so I cant recommend any, but if you have the room, you may be able to add some.

It honestly depends on what kind they are. Some cichlids are very peaceful compared to some of the Africans. Since cichlids include so many fish, its impossible to give you an answer. Depending on your tank size, some may work. Fish like angels, rams, and apistos are commonly kept in community tanks. I dont have any first hand experience with them, so I cant recommend any, but if you have the room, you may be able to add some.

- It's a 46g Bow front, but the community fish in there now are huge!
- The Cichlidsthat I like are lot smaller than these guys.
- I was just worried about the 2 Mollies, and my Bala Sharks not being compatible.

- I'll have to ask some questions, and maybe I can slowly introduce some of the "peaceful" Cichlids instead of the Africans.

- Thanks!

before you get any more fish, those balas need to go. they get absolutely ginormous... a fish that really should not be sold for aquariums

the balas would be ok, they are sometimes used as dither fish for cichlids. as stated in a few of the answers without knowing for sure what kind of cichlid it is it is hard to say. Cichlids usually stick to the lower part of their tanks. i keep some community tanks that just happen to have cichlids in them, granted they are smaller, the biggest being some ellioti cichlid or also honduran redpoints. You have to remember that cichlids are always more aggressive when spawning, and u dont even have to be a grand master breeder lol to have these guys breed so you might want to keep that in mind.. Sometimes or usually the males might make for a better show fish so all males is sometimes a good thing..

As far as fish size, who cares, I am not a peta memeber or anything i am a hobbiest. i have kept full grown fenestratus in a 20 gal tall before and it was just fine, it thrived, not just survived, the colors were great, it grew at the same rate as some of his clutch-mates the breeder was also growing out. As long as u keep up with ur maintenance the fish will live and u will get the enjoyment of watching them...

Balas can be kept in small tanks but it is not humane. It is stunting their growth. I have bala sharks that have not been kept in small tanks. They are in a 135 gal and are 10" +.

If you wish to have community cichlids, considered the dwarf cichlids that have been mentioned earlier in the thread. German rams, bolivian rams, apistogramma are all very entertaining fish and stall small and relatively peaceful.

I have 4 Blue Rams in my commuinity tank which includes mollies, platies, guppies, pleco, swordtails and some clown loaches and they arn't aggresive towards other fish in any way. They sometimes chase each other around but thats about it

Back
Top Bottom