Introducing young convicts to adult

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lagoonlyrics

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon with a single female convict, around 3". I had wanted to add another type of cichlid to the tank but it seems like that might not be a good idea. So now I'm thinking of trying adding a few convicts to find a mate, then removing the leftovers. However, my LFS only has 1" convicts available. Is this too large a size difference? Would she just kill them all?

I would not breed them. You're talking about a cichlid that is so over saturated in the trade that they can be found pretty much anywhere. Typically they're used as feeders, and more often can't even be given away. As recommended in the other post, I would add some hardy tetras or barbs, maybe throw in a hoplo cat or large Cory cat (like brochii) and call it a day

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would actually be breeding for feeders for my other tank. I wouldn't keep or sell the fry.

If you add more convicts and get a breeding pair out of them all hell will break loose for the others.Convicts are as vicious as they come.I don't care how big the tank is if you have a breeding pair any other convicts will be battered.Don't underestimate these relatively small cichlids.They are mean as hell.Pound for pound the convict Cichlid is my number one contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you add more convicts and get a breeding pair out of them all hell will break loose for the others.Convicts are as vicious as they come.I don't care how big the tank is if you have a breeding pair any other convicts will be battered.Don't underestimate these relatively small cichlids.They are mean as hell.Pound for pound the convict Cichlid is my number one contender.

Like I mentioned, I would add several convicts and the fish that don't pair with my female would be removed(back to the LFS). Final composition would be a mated pair only, possibly some cats but only the two cichlids.

So my original question, is the size difference of 1" introduced convicts and a 3" current resident too big?

Females will become sexually mature around 1.5 and males around 2" so it won't be long before you'll have fry. I wouldn't worry to much adding new fish with the existing female, you may see a little chasing but it shouldn't be a blood bath.

Females will become sexually mature around 1.5 and males around 2" so it won't be long before you'll have fry. I wouldn't worry to much adding new fish with the existing female, you may see a little chasing but it shouldn't be a blood bath.

Thanks for your help. I introduced 3x 1" convicts a few days ago. The female chases them on and off but never too aggressively.

Side question: I generally see that convicts should be kept in pairs but occasionally see references to them being kept in harems. Would it be possible to keep 1 male and 2 females in this tank or will they pair and kill the remaining female?

Trios are not rare at all, I've had dozens and dozens of single males that breed with multiple females. I will say in a small tank that size it's not as likely.

Okay, I'll see how it goes but probably stick to removing all but the pair. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom