introduction of a female gourami.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
today I got back from las vegas after being there since saturday. I fed my fish then I went to the lfs to buy a filter cartridge to change only one of two that are in my tanks filter, I then bought a female red dwarf gourami. the male gourami I have at first started to be interested and swim all around her now after a few hours all his fins stand up and he swims around her and sometimes runs into her head on and chases her. the male is not a red dwarf is this a problem? would they mate? she is about 1/4 less mass as he is. does anyone know what are the fuctions of the two antenna looking things that the gouramis have coming out of their stomach? I notice part of the females back fin has been bit off not sure if it was the leo or the male gourami they both chased after her. any advice? do they ley eggs or fry?

kaz said:
the male is not a red dwarf is this a problem? would they mate?

If it is a dwarf, possibly...otherwise, no....but he might beat her up badly.

does anyone know what are the fuctions of the two antenna looking things that the gouramis have coming out of their stomach?

They are modified fins....they use them as feelers.

I notice part of the females back fin has been bit off not sure if it was the leo or the male gourami they both chased after her. any advice?

Watch it for infection...perhaps a small dose of melafix to aid healing.

do they ley eggs or fry?

Eggs....they are bubblenest builders.

today I found her fins more picked on what can I do? should I trade in the leo?

Well, I wouldn't be trading in anything until you are fairly certain whom the culprit is, but the leo is certainly a prime suspect....I would watch both him and the male gourami (do you know what type the male is?).

this is the male.
QnC56x1136500236.jpg

OK, so your gouramis are the same species....are you certain that they are different genders?

I am betting on the leporinis as the culprit.

from what I have learn here in the forums the female has round fin and male pointy and i'm not sure but the female is round at the back tip and my males is pointy so I'm assuming they are male female but im no expert.

Actually, female dwarf gouramis are not red at all. They're silver colored, sometimes with blue barring.

I've never had "flame" gouramis, so I may be wrong, but I think both of those fish are males.

They will grow back if the fish is not molested anymore. Excellent water quality helps a lot in the regrowth.

You bought a male... Female Dwarf Gouramis are a pale blue-grey with yellow vertical stripes. regardless of the Leporinus the other male will continue to beat up on it. If you have another tank, or know someone who can take it for you then that would be my suggestion.

If you are planning to breed Dwarf Gouramis the best way is to use a tank with shallow water (about 8" deep), with a temp of 82 F, and once the spawning is complete the female should be removed (the male cares for the nest).

The red one seems to be a male as well. I don't think female dwarf gouramis can get that kind of color, plus they rarely sell females. I would also think the neon gourami is a suspect. I've had gouramis bite small pieces of fin off of others, especially newly introduced ones.

once I upgrade to a 60g tank how would I introduce more gouramis and rainbows to current stock?

Well, last night I put my blue gourami in the 10 to the 75. I acclimated while keeping the lights in the room really dim so the fish wouldn't wake up and wouldn't notice the new gourami. The next day she is fine and no one knows how she got there but they seem to have accepted her. I don't think the fish will mind rainbows being put in.
Did I answer your question on how to introduce them?

Back
Top Bottom