Is 30 gallons to small

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kowalski

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is a 30 gallon to small for cichlids? How many can i fit if I would like to have a community or a few females and a male or two?

Depends on what kind of cichlid. Most will tell you to get a 4' tank or longer for most breeds. If your going to get dwarf or shell dwellers then 30 would be ok.

Depends on what kind of cichlid. Most will tell you to get a 4' tank or longer for most breeds. If your going to get dwarf or shell dwellers then 30 would be ok.

African cichlid appeal to my eye more. I dislike home rams look

Well then the best advice I can give is go bigger than 4' aka 55 gallon. Trust me, if your like most of us your going to end up wanting bigger and bigger. LoL
I need a spot in my house where there is no sunlight. My room is facing north so the sun is not as strong. I would get a 55 gallon if algae is not a problem and put it in a different room in my house

With cichlids its not gallons that count it's the footprint of the surface area or how much area there is for them to spread out I know of a few ppl who keep 4-5 malawi in a 29 or a 30 just buy them all small and let them grow together.

I also remember fish will not grow if they don't have enough room

Sorry kowalski but that's a wives tale a fish will grow to its natural size no matter what size enclosure would a human child stop growing if you put them in a box and kept feeding them?

Yes internal organs continue to grow while the outside body doesn't have room to skelatal bones continue to grow as well most people think a fish just stops growing and while the outside body may internally it does not

See they know when to stop growing lmao (sarcasm). If you like Africans then Andrew has given you great advice. I'll aslo say (little controversial) that you CAN keep some malawis in a 30 gallon if you do the most docile ones in a single breeding group like 1 male and 3/4 females. These would include fish like yellow labs. Now if you want to introduce any other fish though it won't work. Now in your situation you may want to get more experience with cichlids first because they have a huge variance in personalities even within the same types. Husbandry is the number one practice to master imo when it comes to cichlids (especially Africans)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130116_121138.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130116_121138.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 73
Stunting

It's called stunting and here is an article to explain.
https://sites.google.com/site/freshwaterfanatics/fishstunting

Great article Andrew......hope a lot of the members get a chance to read this or at least know about this. I find this forum priceless when it comes to raising and enjoying healthy "Africans". I have only been back into Cichlids for two months after a 35 year layoff, and have already had to upgrade from a thirty to a 55 long....because of what I want in my tank. I'm seriously thinking (want) to go even larger but my wallet and space limitations are putting a damper on that. Oh well.....guess the 55 will have to do. Enjoy......

Is a 30 gallon to small for cichlids? How many can i fit if I would like to have a community or a few females and a male or two?

Is it a true 30 gallon tank or a 29 gallon? It does make a difference. A true 30 gallon tank is a full 3 feet (36 inches) (1 yard) long. A 29 gallon is only 30 inches long. The additional 6 inches on a true 30 increases the footprint by 20% over a 29 gallon tank.

If you have a 30 gallon breeder though, the footprint is 73% larger than a 29 gallon tank.

Larger footprint = more rocks = more territory = more mbunas.

Is it a true 30 gallon tank or a 29 gallon? It does make a difference. A true 30 gallon tank is a full 3 feet (36 inches) (1 yard) long. A 29 gallon is only 30 inches long. The additional 6 inches on a true 30 increases the footprint by 20% over a 29 gallon tank.

If you have a 30 gallon breeder though, the footprint is 73% larger than a 29 gallon tank.

Larger footprint = more rocks = more territory = more mbunas.

I wish I knew, I am going to pick up one of many tanks thats my dads friend owns. He claims the smallest tank he has a 30 gallon

Odds are it is a 29 gallon tank. 29s are, by far, more common than true 30s or 30 breeders. Take a tape measure to know what you are getting. Is he giving it to you or selling it?

Odds are it is a 29 gallon tank. 29s are, by far, more common than true 30s or 30 breeders. Take a tape measure to know what you are getting. Is he giving it to you or selling it?

He said he can give to us for free. But knowing my dad he will get him a case

Back
Top Bottom