Is a harlequin shrimp a good choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I have lots of Asterina stars in my tank and am considering getting a harlequin shrimp to place In my refugium as from what I have read they are peaceful and only eat starfish. I was just wondering if a 7(ish) gallon refugium with LR is enough to house one harlequin shrimp? And whether Asterina stars are a sufficient diet? I would just like to keep the Asterinas somewhat controlled and would not want to place a harlequin shrimp in the main display tank as I have other starfish that I wouldn't want eaten. I would really appreciate any of your knowledge of this shrimp.

Thanks!

I've heard they will eat asterina stars but i would not could on them being able to reproduce fast enough to keep a harlequin happy. You can try it but i would be prepaired to proved another source of food if you get one.

I think a better option would be to talk with a LFS that you have a good relationship with. The one i worked at would order starfish fairly often and there are losses from shipping or illness. See if you can work out a deal to just buy stars that don't make it for real cheap.

i have one in a 150. there are plenty of asterinas for him there. there is definitely not going to be enough in a 7 gallon tank. you'll have to supplement.

Thanks for the input guys I think I didn't specify well enough... The 7ish gallons is just the refugium section in a 30 gallon sump with a 72 gallon main tank. So there is about 90G of water where the Asterinas can multiply safely.

I was thinking that if the shrimp was in the refugium it would have a constant supply of Asterinas coming from the main tank (where they have no predators and are constantly multiplying).

Would the 7G be sufficient space for the shrimp to live? Don't want the little guy to be too confined!

Pat, great idea about contacting the LFS and using dead stars for food, just wondering whether the shrimp are picky about eating dead stars?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

yes, it would be enough space. they don't really move around too much. btw, if it decimates the star population in the sump, you could scoop some out of the display, correct?

it's not going to eat a dead star. a truly dead starfish won't be around long enough for it to eat anyway. did you ever see one of those dissolve? it doesn't take long.

Mr X, that's right i can simply grab some from the main tank although a fair amount make there way to the sump all by themselves! I will avoid feeding it dead stars, don't like the idea of dumping in dead stars every week anyway! Sounds like it may be a plan then! Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom