Is a wavemaker the best chouce for a low tech planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teetotalphil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry to trouble you all but just wanted to ask if a wavemaker is the best option to create water movement in a planted community tank not after to much movement just enough to add a bit of movement to plants plus stop any dead spots any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Tank in question is 4ft long and I'm running an eheim external on it both inlet and outlet pipes are at one end.

image-379377622.jpg

Hello Tee...

If you have a filter system that turns over roughly 4 times the volume of your tank every hour and follow a sound water change routine, then you have enough surface movement for oxygen to be mixed with the tank water and to allow carbon dioxide (CO2) to escape.

You don't want too much surface movement, because that will remove too much CO2 and your aquatic plants need some for growth.

B

If you want to add a little more current in the tank then get a couple Karolia Nano 240 powerheads. I use them in my tanks and they are great little powerheads. I would not use a wave maker.

Yo dawg, if you do not inject CO2, you can add a wavemaker. This will help restore low natural CO2 level in your tank during lighttime.

During lighttime, plants consume CO2. If you add surface agitation CO2 will recover a bit from the low air co2 presence.

If you do inject CO2, you don't want to boost surface agitation, because you will drop co2 levels to air levels.

Back
Top Bottom