Is AQ advisor high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So apparently two julidochromis transcripts in a 20g (max out at 3 inches) translates into my tank being seriously overstocked? It also suggests that I do a 93% PWC on a weekly basis. I've got two Aquaclear 50s on there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1418827183821.jpg
    1418827183821.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 108
So apparently two julidochromis transcripts in a 20g (max out at 3 inches) translates into my tank being seriously overstocked? It also suggests that I do a 93% PWC on a weekly basis. I've got two Aquaclear 50s on there.

They are she'll dwellers, so you will need to add lots of rocks in the tank for cover. They are aggressive, so if you don't get a male and female pair they will become extremely territorial . Even with a male female pair you are running the risk of aggression. After all the rocks to give adequate hiding, your probably only working with 8-13 gallons of water. I don't necessarily think 93 percent water changes every week is necessary, but I do think it would be a little tight for 2 of the fish fully grown. Again that's just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was gonna do a lot of Texas "Holy rock" which would provide many small caves. Would a 50% PWC each week be sufficient for a male and female pair?

yes, AQ grossly over/under estimates things to stay well within "safe" parameters, it is good for beginners to get an idea, but really shouldn't be considered the final authoritative word.

They might have forgot to carry the 1 in their programming regarding that particular fish. Or in this case, might have carried it a few too many times.

I'm guessing you have more than just those 2 fish on your list. On a mobile browser, you have to tap the drop down to see all the fish you've added. Clear your fish selections and start over:

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Definitely don't try to do large water changes with these fish unless parameters are off, they don't tolerate them well. They prefer smaller water changes, and 15% - 20% per week should be more than sufficient. Don't add any other fish, and as mentioned make sure to watch them very closely for aggression. If they don't pair off, you'll lose one for sure, so make sure to have a plan for separating them.

No, something is up with the site. I've had the same stock in my 20 planted for a year and it always says stocked at 128%. I upgraded my filter a few weeks ago and now the site is saying close to 200% stocked. Haven't checked it again since then. My filter was the ONLY variable that changed.......gremlins.....

Back
Top Bottom