Is it bad to scrape algae into the tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
When algae grows on glass, I tried to remove it with an algae scraper. That's when I noticed the algae dissapating into the water as I was scraping it off the glass... is this bad? If so, how should I remove the algae?

It should not cause any harm to the tank. Some of the fish may eat it (depending on the fish). Since you want to get rid of it, here's what I would do. Scrape the glass, let the algae settle and then vacuum the gravel.

Is this okay for brown algae as well? I have a meadow of it growing on my aquarium decoration/rock thingamajig, and I need to scrub it all off.

It's almost impossible to stop the algae from floating freely in the tank. The best thing, after scraping would be to let it settle (you may have to turn off the filter or put it on low flow for 10 mins) and then vac.

certain fish can help with your algae problem. maybe concider adding somekind of algae consuming fish to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom