Is it breeding season????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess1982

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just bought a new red cap oranda (yesterday) and I woke up this morning with him/her chasing my chocolate pom pom around the tank. I decided to move the red cap to another tank assuming he was just a pest but now my black moor has also started chasing the same chocolate pom pom! Do you think they are just picking on a sick fish (he/she looks ok to me) or are they confused about breeding season? I have heard that large water changes can trigger it and I did a 50% water change yesterday as I dropped one of the filter sponges in the water when I was changing it and it dirtied the whole tank. :facepalm:

Shall I move the pom pom to another tank to stop her from being pestered?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Well I would continue the separation, I move everybody out. I'd move the decor around, and then plop everyone back in. tada they think its a brand new tank!

There won't actually be a season in an aquarium - if conditions are right and the fish are ready, they may spawn. If two fish are chasing one, then there is a good chance they are preparing to spawn. If you are confident - and gentle - you could carefully net the pom pom and give it a gentle squeeze near the vent area to see if it releases any eggs? Just gently push you finger and thumb either side of the abdomen in the direction of the back end of the fish, you only need a slight pressure if the fish is about to spawn.

I agree there is no breeding season for fish input tanks. It just sounds like you have a female that may have reached breeding age or is getting close it because your boys have taken notice.

Sorry- my cell is being weird!!! Anyway, if your female is being overly stressed or injured, you will need to separate her for bit so she has a chance to rest & recover. Or you can let nature take its course. Goldie's will eat most of their eggs. Anything remaining after 24hrs can be sucked up in gravel vac & a large water change will be necessary as well.

Do NOT under any circumstance squeeze your fish as was suggested earlier.

Thanks for all your advice. My red cap was being particularly forceful so I moved the girls to a smaller tank for a while. I was worried her delicate pom poms would get damaged and she was really being shoved around. I will move her back in a couple of days.

Happy New Year to you all.

Back
Top Bottom