Is it normal for goldfish to chill there sometimes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayjangle

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, finally both of my goldfish tanks are not saturated with ammonia (both test tubes turn out yellow instead of green or green/yellow).

My fancy is always really active, but usually in the later hours (around 11:30) he sometimes chils a couple of inches from the gravel and moves his fins enough to stay in place. He then resumes swimming like 10 minutes later.

I'm a bit paranoid after the fiasco a week ago...also, what does clamp fin look like? Sometimes when my goldie is swimming in place, he seems to tilt his swimming fins so they are flat, but they aren't right up against his sides.

I am sure this is normal behavior. My fancies will just hover in one space for a while at times usually in the evening when the lights go out as well. I am pretty sure this is how they sleep/rest. Its kinda cute actually to see. As long as your goldfish isn't just lying unresponsive on the gravel I think he is fine.

Yep, it sounds perfectly normal! I am glad you finally got your ammonia under control- yellow tubes are great news!! Clamped fins are just what they sound like. Fish will tightly hold their fins against their sides/body and they look pretty miserable. Your fancy sounds fine, so dont worry! :)

Dear Jayjangle,

Glad news that you're getting such good test results. All my Goldies, especially at night, spend some time in a lower level of the tank with minimum fin action. They are resting and it sounds as if your Fancy is doing just that. As jlk said clamped fins are tight against the body and usually the fish bottom-sits for hours at a time with clamped fins. The Fancy sounds fine.
Chris

Back
Top Bottom