Is it OK to put Rams in this 29 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Switch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well there seems to be a lot of talk about rams on here, and I don't blame people they are very beautiful fish. I have a planted 29 gal High aquarium which houses:
- 1 angelfish
- 1 dwarf gourami
- 7 rummy nose tetra
- 4 khulie loaches

I have been using a site aqua adviser to help me get a general idea of how my tank is in terms of "stocking fish" and so far I think it has been very helpful but I would like some more advise on the matter.

I have been looking at 3 types of rams which are available in my arena The German blue ram, Gold ram, and Bolivian ram. I think they are just amazing fish and would love to put them in my tank. When I bought the tank the fish I really wanted where German Blue Rams, but I added a few fish which were not originally in my plan and i'm worried that it may not be a great idea. I really want least one but I think they look so much better with a friend. I have no intent of breeding them but should it happen do you think they would be too aggressive to my other fish and kill them ? I have never had rams before, only convicts.

the tank is pretty peaceful right now, My angel is still very small, and spends a lot of her time in the middle of the tank, my gourami he is normally chasing his reflection in the glass and swims at all levels, my 7 rummy nose mostly swim in the middle chasing each other around and have very bright red noses, and well my khulie loaches just hide most of the time. I personally think they would be ok in there there are plenty of hiding spots which my fish never use besides the khulie loaches, i'm just worried about the aggression should they decide to make a nest and breed. the rams, if I get them, would probably be the last addition to the tank other then a nitrate snail. the only other thing I want to put in the tank are Harlequin rosaboras but I think that might be too much.

Hmmm. I can't say for sure yes or no. I have a pair of german blue rams and have kept them with several other kinds of fish including rummynose tetras and discus, but not angelfish, gouramis, or loaches. I think it would be worth a try, but no guarantees of an issue-free tank. :)

As long as you have plenty of vegetation and hiding places I think you'll be in the clear.
Rams do get territorial when spawning, but the Angel and DG are pretty tough so I think they'd be able to handle themselves against the rams if needed (but keep a close eye on them)
If you don't want breeding, then maybe 2 females are better than a pair? I always think females are more colorful anyways, atleast with GBRs.

Personally I think gold rams are the prettiest, GBR's being 2nd and Bolivians being last, but Bolivians are also the most hardy so if your tank isn't established or you want to add more of the more active type fish they might be your best bet considering gold and blues are more sensitive and stress easier.

A pair of GBR would be fine in that tank. I kept a pair in my 29g along with guppies and platies and there were no issues at all. The angel shouldn't bother them either.

Thanks for the help everyone, I am thinking of going with Bolivians for the reason that they seem more hardy, but I am also thinking of getting another angel instead because I know angels are best in small shoals and this one seems pretty depressed, She is getting picked on by my male dwarf gourami. Do you think it would be OK to go for the rams or should I probably get another angel(female or male to go with my female platinum) ?

A bit off topic but some thing weird has happened, I originally had only 4 khulie loaches, but now, I have 5, I have no idea where the other one came from, it's smaller then the others too, its just a weird and mysterious Khulie loach. I'm sure I only had 4 I had counted them when they where in the bag at the store and before I released them into the tank. I remember because they were 3 for 9$ and I had bought an extra one, and the reason I got them over cory cats is because they where on sale and khulies are hard to find in my area, so its kinda odd. Happy to have the extra khulie tho :lol:

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom