Is my fish a Girl? Is this white stuff normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chimbica

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey y'all! So not sure what to expect her, today after two months of a close eye on my moor, the white fuzzy stuff has returned and bigger than ever! An also I noticed a little pile hidden in the back of one of the plants of white mini pebble looking things...the fuzzy stuff on her face is on either side if her nostril, and on one side it's fuzzy and the other side looks like little air bubbles pushed together in her nostril? Also, on her but is a raised white bump, a string of poop too! Always noticed the poop LOL..but not this white raised area? Thanks in advanced for any help!

Attachments

• image-2444559258.jpg
    image-2444559258.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3250507468.jpg
    image-3250507468.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 79
sorry I dont know how to sex black moores. And im assuming some sort of fungus on her face, do you have any melafix or primafix? Done a water change lately? check your levels? how old is it?

Yeah, looked like columnaris to me three months ago, my nitrate and ammonia levels are 0 and hadn't done a water change in over a month cause I had put him/her through so much meds for the cottonmouth/columnaris I didn't want to mess with him, so last week I did a 65% water change...maybe he is in shock and I unknowningly restarted the columnaris/cotton mouth...at the time the only thing that worked was the jungle tabs...but I had to QT him ....so much work! Maybe adding salt to his tank now will help? Should I keep doing daily water changes at about 15-20% ?? Thanks!

Maybe adding salt to his tank now will help? Should I keep doing daily water changes at about 15-20% ?? Thanks!

im not sure about salt, but as far as PWC you should be doing them as part of your weekly routine regardless of ailments. The smaller the tank the higher % of water and more often needed...( i believe)

In my 10&20 gallon tanks I do weekly 40-50% PWC!! more if situations arrise. Clean water is very important

The moor is not old enough to sex (by amateur like me ...) I can sex the fish when it is at least a year or more, and in breeding shape during breeding season (spring). Males will have bumps on the gill cover & leading edges of pectoral fins (breeding stars), females have rounder belly. Some can sex young goldfish by the shape of the anal vent ... that is not 100%, and I can never tell the difference.

Can't tell for sure what the spot is by the pics ... if it is fuzzy, it is likely columnaris. For goldfish, treating with anti-biotic containing food is better than stuff in the water. But clean water is even more important. A weekly water change is recommended, even if all your parameters are perfect. Salt might help if this is a surface parasite or a surface ulcer ... but doesn't work too well for columnaris.

If you are seeing long string of poop, the fish is constipated. What are you feeding? Try upping the veggies. It is good to feed fancy goldfish veggies at least every few days. <Peas - shelled & chopped, zucchinis, cucumbers, etc.>

Back
Top Bottom