is my lionfish sick?? :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nafuzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
He's a juvenile black volitans i've had for not 2 weeks. Not only am I having trouble weening him off live food, he never moves from his corner hiding! He's never swims or ventures out. Is this normal lion behavior or has something I could've done left him ill???

Please..any advice/questions/opinions or just chatting is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Well do you know if it's captive bred or from the wild? sometimes when they are from the wild it takes some time for them to adjust .

From wild. My LFS owner said THEY DON'T BREED IN CAPTIVITY!!!! Are you certain??? He lied to me that prick.....mine was wild caught....... :(

Lol. You can breed in captivity but you would have to have a lot of experience with lion fish to breed but it is possible. Yeah he is probably just scared give it time just make sure you don't see any paleness on the fish or anything that is obviously not normal.

He gets extremely agitated when I stick these giant green tongs by him in attempts to feed. I've felt him jab it with his spikes. He hates me... :(

Naaah like I said he's just scared. Just try putting the food instead of trying to feed it to him. Just put it in there don't force it.

But he doesn't acknowledge frozen or dead foods

What I would do try putting the dead food on a string and move it around in front of him, he will think its actually still alive because he won't see you with a stick, male sure it's like a transparent string like fishing and try that...

Lol. You can breed in captivity but you would have to have a lot of experience with lion fish to breed but it is possible. ......
Where did you hear that?
Lions&Rels2
"There are a few accounts (German and other mid-European) of captive, as in public aquaria, spawnings. Some scorpaenids are known to be ovoviviparous, a form of live-bearing, but Pterois are surface egg scatterers. Near artificial dusk, a male and female engage in a simple pre-spawning 'dance' culminating in upward swimming and simultaneous release of gametes while upside down beneath the surface. No record of eggs hatched and reared."

Wow that's fascinating actually. So maybe he wasn't completely lying. Any feeding advice?

I don't have any feeding advice but my lion fish did the same thing. He just started moving around more and iv had him for about a month

Oh really?? Ok that makes me feel a little better thank you. what do you feed him?

Aren't they just gorgeous tho?! :)

I feed mine live ghost shrimp. And yea they are. I have a fuzzy dwarf but when I get my 150 gallon tank ready

ccCapt said:
Where did you hear that?
Lions&Rels2
"There are a few accounts (German and other mid-European) of captive, as in public aquaria, spawnings. Some scorpaenids are known to be ovoviviparous, a form of live-bearing, but Pterois are surface egg scatterers. Near artificial dusk, a male and female engage in a simple pre-spawning 'dance' culminating in upward swimming and simultaneous release of gametes while upside down beneath the surface. No record of eggs hatched and reared."

How can you say they can't breed in captivity we are so advanced in technology how the **** do you think the breed them in sea world, or aquarium museums like I said u would have to have ALOT of experience with lion fish........

How can you say they can't breed in captivity we are so advanced in technology how the **** do you think the breed them in sea world, or aquarium museums like I said u would have to have ALOT of experience with lion fish........

angelf said:

There are many animals and fish that have not been bred in captivity. Technology has little to do with it, it requires years of study to identify the means and triggers or reproduction. Even if you manage to mimic the natural environment perfectly there is no guarantee of success. I have never seen anything that says any sea world or aquarium has bred them. What makes you think these places are breeding them and not just capturing and rearing wild caught specimens?

Yea. I feed him 3 every other day. Also now his color is much better. For awhile he would get really pale

Oh man....hmmmmm. thank you so much. I gotta get some ghost shrimp!!!

Back
Top Bottom