Is my Platy bloated or pregnant? (see pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sera

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a few male and female Platy's but one female is very large and i was wondering if she was bloated or pregnant? I've had her and the others for a few months now (cycled 20 gallon tank, no ammonia, pH 7.4, temp 78 ) I've included a picture of her, she's the one circled.

Attachments

• sketch-1469564885650.jpg
    sketch-1469564885650.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 428
I've got a few male and female Platy's but one female is very large and i was wondering if she was bloated or pregnant? I've had her and the others for a few months now (cycled 20 gallon tank, no ammonia, pH 7.4, temp 78 ) I've included a picture of her, she's the one circled.

Her scales don't look distended --a sign of dropsy-- and her fins are erect, not clamped. She looks happy. I'd say she's almost certainly pregnant, and you will soon have platy fry. :brows:

Also, she's a female livebearer. If she's been in a tank with a male for more than five minutes (five seconds with guppies) any time in the last six weeks, she's pregnant. :lol:

Thanks for the response! She is indeed very lively and active so I figured she was happy and healthy ☺ but for her to be pregnant is really exciting!!! The rest of my fish are all male (Danios and guppies) so I don't have to worry about babies there ? but I can't wait to see how her babies will turn out as I have several different types of platys. Thanks again!!

Sent from my E2306 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom