Is my platy pregnant??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agaul23

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399125902.913333.jpg
I've had my platies a few months now n none have had any fry or even looked pregnant. But I thought this little one has started to look plump around the middle. What's your opinion?

Looks loaded and ready to go. I would say you should have fry in about 3 to 7 days. Nice looking wag!

Sent from my N861 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm looking at this fish today n there's no belly! I can tell which wag it was because she has an orange strip on her fin, the belly is as flat as a pancake today. Could she have had them over night, or was she just full the day before?

Yup it's very possible. Mine usually drop just before the timer turns on the light in the morning. Do you see any fry?

I got Corys the other day, so mayb they ate them, or the other platies or guppies, all n all they seem to b a hungry lot, despite I feed them a good lot. The guppies I have have had a few sets of fry, the first lot I only found two. I got a birthing box after that, but just wasn't in time I guess for my platy

Start counting days now. If you have a male in there with her you can bet she will get pregnant again. You should expect the next drop between 23 and 40 days depending on many different factors.

If you are wanting to breed them I would recommend allowing her a week in a tank with a male and then putting her in her own 10 gallon heavily planted birthing tank for the next 3 to 5 weeks. This allows her time to adjust and gives the fry the best chance of survival without using stressful breeding traps.

Start watching for fry at the 3rd week. Usually they will give birth right before the lights come on or shortly after they go off.

Good luck and best wishes.

Actually today she still looks pregnant, it's so hard to tell with the platiesImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399267732.967396.jpg

I found 3 fry just now in my tank. They hav zero colour, I haven't a clue which fish gave birth to them, none of them looked like they were ready. If there's no orange colour on the fry, is it more likely that they are guppy fry?

Whilst on the subject of pregnant platty....ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399496674.002753.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399496769.498465.jpg is this one pregnant? Acting strange and hiding at the back away from other fish lately.

Back
Top Bottom