Is my Substrate good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need to know if this substrate is too big. I was told that if my substrate is too big that food that is uneaten will sit in the bottom and rot.

I don't know if thats true so i thought i should see what you guys think

(on the picture I put a penny next to the substrate so you guys get a better idea how big it is)

Attachments

• IMAG0085.jpg
    IMAG0085.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 47
If it is, your shrimp may have a little bit of a tough time finding food. Nano shrimp, like red cherries, enjoy sand because they can turn it over with their tiny...uh...hands I guess, to find food. These large granules will be impossible for your shrimp to flip. That being said, if you are diligent with gravel vacuuming, build up of food debris can be avoided.

If it is, your shrimp may have a little bit of a tough time finding food. Nano shrimp, like red cherries, enjoy sand because they can turn it over with their tiny...uh...hands I guess, to find food. These large granules will be impossible for your shrimp to flip. That being said, if you are diligent with gravel vacuuming, build up of food debris can be avoided.

ah I knew it.. i really do want sand but i can't siphon it. and i don't know any other way to clean it haha

Also, I remember you saying you were going to have it planted (at least with mosses?) and plants will also absorb some of the biodegrading food particles. And if you have white clouds, you probably won't be feeding them a whole lot. But all in all, if possible, I would try to change that out for some sand to help your shrimps out. Plus the look of sand in an aquarium is just awesome!

Also, I remember you saying you were going to have it planted (at least with mosses?) and plants will also absorb some of the biodegrading food particles. And if you have white clouds, you probably won't be feeding them a whole lot. But all in all, if possible, I would try to change that out for some sand to help your shrimps out. Plus the look of sand in an aquarium is just awesome!

ohhhh yah i plan on putting moss in it. how do i clean sand though? and I was told sand becomes toxic i don't know how.

Paulcm10 said:
ah I knew it.. i really do want sand but i can't siphon it. and i don't know any other way to clean it haha

You can siphon it. It's surprising how much you won't pick up! I was the same way before I converted. You will pick up some sand here and there but not a lot. You just need to keep the siphon above the sand and let the vacuum do the work, instead of getting down in there like gravel. Planting things is also, in my opinion, much easier in sand. Lastly, if you go sand. Try and acquire some Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS). They dig in sand, which keeps anaerobic bubbles from building up in you sand. They also eat left over food particle and are none destructive to plants! I keep them in all of my tanks. Quite a few of my local fish stores like petsmart have them and are more than willing to give them away for free. Look for snails that have a nice spiral to a point shell. (google them for better info ;))

Paulcm10 said:
ohhhh yah i plan on putting moss in it. how do i clean sand though? and I was told sand becomes toxic i don't know how.

The anaerobic bubbles are what can become toxic to your inhabitants. Although this takes a bit of time to develop. It's not an overnight kind of toxic. And if I were you I'd look into some other low light plants like anubias or java fern. Planted aquariums are happy aquariums (my mantra :))

You can siphon it. It's surprising how much you won't pick up! I was the same way before I converted. You will pick up some sand here and there but not a lot. You just need to keep the siphon above the sand and let the vacuum do the work, instead of getting down in there like gravel. Planting things is also, in my opinion, much easier in sand. Lastly, if you go sand. Try and acquire some Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS). They dig in sand, which keeps anaerobic bubbles from building up in you sand. They also eat left over food particle and are none destructive to plants! I keep them in all of my tanks. Quite a few of my local fish stores like petsmart have them and are more than willing to give them away for free. Look for snails that have a nice spiral to a point shell. (google them for better info ;))

doesn't sand get sucked up by my power filter as well? and it can ruin it if that happens. as far as snails i have looked at some but people keep saying that they lay eggs everywhereeeee

Also, you could potentially keep the substrate if you ever plan on keeping another aquarium. It's not bad substrate, it's just not good for what you currently plan on keeping.

I think I will be returning it cause I don't think i will be starting a new tank for a while haha

Paulcm10 said:
doesn't sand get sucked up by my power filter as well? and it can ruin it if that happens. as far as snails i have looked at some but people keep saying that they lay eggs everywhereeeee

As for the snails, they must have the wrong type. MTS are actually pretty cool in the fact that they do not lay eggs, they bear live young that look like just tiny versions of the adults, I personally try to avoid the other types of snails like ramshorn or pond. They have eaten my plants before but I am sure they did beneficial things while in my tanks too.

Sand does have a tendency to get into filters. I find myself having to clean my whole filter out to unclog it. But that is in my tank where my bichirs stir up so much sand all the time. Your tank won't have anybody who will kick up sand a lot so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. And after I clean the filter it goes back to working like new. What you will notice though is that when you first add sand, your tank will be a cloudy mess. Some people add sand and then let the tank sit (no filter on) til the sand settles down. That's probably the better method, but if you already have livestock you will have to run the filter

As for the snails, they must have the wrong type. MTS are actually pretty cool in the fact that they do not lay eggs, they bear live young that look like just tiny versions of the adults, I personally try to avoid the other types of snails like ramshorn or pond. They have eaten my plants before but I am sure they did beneficial things while in my tanks too.

Sand does have a tendency to get into filters. I find myself having to clean my whole filter out to unclog it. But that is in my tank where my bichirs stir up so much sand all the time. Your tank won't have anybody who will kick up sand a lot so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. And after I clean the filter it goes back to working like new. What you will notice though is that when you first add sand, your tank will be a cloudy mess. Some people add sand and then let the tank sit (no filter on) til the sand settles down. That's probably the better method, but if you already have livestock you will have to run the filter

Man i gotta write all of this down. it's a lot to take in when you're just starting in the hobby. especially if i plan on including inverts in my tank which makes it more complicated haha.
I do plan on having drift wood and rocks if i stick with gravel

Paulcm10 said:
Man i gotta write all of this down. it's a lot to take in when you're just starting in the hobby. especially if i plan on including inverts in my tank which makes it more complicated haha.
I do plan on having drift wood and rocks if i stick with gravel

Haha yes it is. You chose a heck of a starting block by including the shrimp but it can definitely pay off. Drift wood and rocks also work with sand! Just saying ;) and just remember, as long as you research your fish or inverts before adding. You can do perfectly fine in the hobby.

Haha yes it is. You chose a heck of a starting block by including the shrimp but it can definitely pay off. Drift wood and rocks also work with sand! Just saying ;) and just remember, as long as you research your fish or inverts before adding. You can do perfectly fine in the hobby.

yep! that is why i have like 5 different posts asking all kinds of stuff so I can start out right and not waste my money killing my shrimps when i order them. cause they do not come cheap! haha.

well since i might get sand. I have an aqua clear 30 and was planning on bumping it up to aqua clear 50 should i stay with aqua clear 30? or bump up anyways?

also do sand do okay with power heads?

Paulcm10 said:
yep! that is why i have like 5 different posts asking all kinds of stuff so I can start out right and not waste my money killing my shrimps when i order them. cause they do not come cheap! haha.

well since i might get sand. I have an aqua clear 30 and was planning on bumping it up to aqua clear 50 should i stay with aqua clear 30? or bump up anyways?

also do sand do okay with power heads?

Hrmmm, now you stretching the limits of my knowledge! I generally tend to bump filtration up on my tanks, but a few of my tanks are predatory (hence the screen name) and they produce massive billiard. I think with you shrimps and white clouds only, the bioload will be minimal. Especially with plants to take in some wasteland recycle them.

As for the powerhead, as long as it's not aimed at the sand it should be fine. Now I must ask because this isn't something I'm used to, but are you using a stand alone canister filter? I've been using hang on the back filters for my tanks, which can be cleaned and are relatively cheap simpered to stand alone canister filters. I am a little weary now on sand if you are using some of those expensive canister filters. I may need to do a little more research on that.

Sorry, was unsure of what the aqua clear 30 entailed. You should be fine. I have been using tetra filters and like I said earlier. They can get bogged down with sand but a half hour of cleaning makes them run like new again.

Sorry, was unsure of what the aqua clear 30 entailed. You should be fine. I have been using tetra filters and like I said earlier. They can get bogged down with sand but a half hour of cleaning makes them run like new again.

ohh okay sorry I just try to make sure i am doing this right cause i want my shrimps to thrive :)

I really do appreciate all of your help!
do you mind if i message you if i have any other questions?

Paulcm10 said:
ohh okay sorry I just try to make sure i am doing this right cause i want my shrimps to thrive :)

I really do appreciate all of your help!
do you mind if i message you if i have any other questions?

Have at it! I always love to help.

And if your shrimps don't seem to thrive, you can always move them to a small bowl. I had a simple 1 gallon bowl with dirt underneath and sand on top (called the walstad methdod) with some hardy plants. The cherries thrived in there until my water decided to go ape ****. So fear not!

Back
Top Bottom