Is my tank close enough to level?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DD7687

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up a new 46 gallon bow front tank yesterday. After filling I noticed the waterline was just slightly off.

I got a level today and checked the tank both side to side and front to back. Below are pictures from the level. The first is the tank itself, the second is left to right, and the last two are front to back (each side).

Do you think I an close enough to level for this size tank? Or, do I need to drain the tank and shim the stand?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439434441.077464.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439434461.439625.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439434476.111105.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439434488.583893.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would say you are good, if you really worry you could stuff some magazines under the stand till it's perfect.

Caleb

How big of a level is that? It may just be because my boss demands perfection/my slight ocd, but I would drain and shim. You can lift one end of the level until the bubble is perfectly center to figure out how bad it is. Say you have a 1' level and have to lift one end 1/4" to make the bubble level, this is much much worse than say a 4' level being lifted a 1/4". It looks like you are using a 1' level and the front to back is off at least a 1/4" and side to side is closer to 1/8". Thats my reasoning for reccommending you drain and shim.

On your stand is there something covering the entire bottom like a piece of plywood? Since the tank is on carpet it may settle unevenly,and this could cause problems down the road if you get the tank level right now.

I have worked as a carpenters apprentice the past 2 summers so thats where I'm pulling my experience from.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi fish wrangler,

It's a 4' level. I got that one so it spanned the width of the tank. More than half of it hangs over the front of the tank when I'm checking front to back though.

The bottom of the stand is a solid piece of plywood. The tank looks fine when full and is stable. Even when a little water is out the fact it is not level is hard to tell. The carpet is brand new so you are correct that it may settle again.

If the amount it is out of level is just cosmetic I am not concerned. My cause for concern was about the integrity of the tank. Should I be concerned with this?

People say that it is bad for the seams, but I can't personally speak for this because all my tanks are level. I've only had to shim one, and it sits on a DIY stand.

Being carpet I would be afraid of shimming it level, and then the carpet would settle more making it not level again.

I believe Caleb has some of his tanks on a carpet floor so I would ask him.

Good luck!

I took some pictures with the water low in the tank. The level was too big for the job.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439567110.953265.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439567127.546397.jpg

Personally I wouldn't be a bit worried. Just my opinion, I have a +500 pound 60 gallon that is level side to side but 1/4 inch high front to back (higher front). Been set up 6 months with no troubles.

People say that it is bad for the seams, but I can't personally speak for this because all my tanks are level. I've only had to shim one, and it sits on a DIY stand.

Being carpet I would be afraid of shimming it level, and then the carpet would settle more making it not level again.

I believe Caleb has some of his tanks on a carpet floor so I would ask him.

Good luck!

All of my tanks are on carpet actually. But the difference is my carpet is old and has stretch marks where it has loosened over the years.

All of mine sit near perfect level and yours is pretty close. Wouldn't worry about it.

Caleb

I agree with ImACoolguy's replies. Your tank should be just fine. In my old place I had an 80 gal that was nearly 1/2 inch out of level. When she was filled up to the underside of the black rim you could not tell it was off. This tank was set up in the same place for several years with no problems.

In fact that tank is still in use although it is now sitting much closer to level atm. I would say it is your own personal preference weather you lift and shim the tank level. If you decide to level it I would level the stand and not the tank. As shimming the tank could put stress on the shimmed area and may cause an issue.

Nice looking tank by the way.
Good luck and enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your advice.

Id.junk that sub standard level. Based off the pics of water lines you're looking pretty ok.. it's the twist you need to worry about. If you have conflicting readings on either side of.the tank it could.be an issue down the road. As for purchasing levels.. doesn't need to be the best in the store, shouldn't be plastic either. Just compare a cheaper metal one next to a few nicer ones, if they read the same? All set!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just a tip for those levelling a tank from new. Forget about a spirit level, just put about one inch of water in the tank and ensure water is level left and right and front and back. Easy. Water levels don't lie.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom