Is my tank overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi.

I have a 25L/6.5G tank. It currently occupies a male betta, 4 neon tetras (I had 6 originally but two of them died), 2 bronze cories, a nerite snail and a few cherry shrimp. Is my tank overstocked?

A lot of people seem to think the cories need a much larger tank and a larger group, but can I keep them as they are in the current setup or would that be cruel?

Any recommendations?

I would say you are overstocked. 6.5 gallon is suitable for a single betta and maybe a snail or 2.

10 gallon should be minimum for neon tetras. How did the 2 neons die? They arent traditionally seen as a good mix with bettas. They also should be kept in larger groups than 4. Minimum 6 preferably 10.

Again 10 gallons should be minimum for bronze corys. Keeping only 2, they will survive rather than thrive. I would say 5 minimum, preferably 8.

With both the neons and corys you wont see their natural behaviour in such small numbers.

I would want 40 litres (10 gallons) to keep a betta and a small group of other fish. If you are wanting to keep the betta, 6 neons and 5 bronze corys, i would consider something bigger like 60 litres (I think thats about 15 or 16 gallons).

Back
Top Bottom