IS Nemos tank overstocked? (fish inch per gallon)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

douggiestyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive read in other posts that nemos tank is overstocked.
But by my caculations the tank is 24"h x 24"d x 48"w equaling 120usgal
What is the rule of thumb for fish inch per gallon, (roughly.)
Is it ok to buy a fish that when full grown will not fit the tank.

also, anybody know were i can get the mount wannahawkalugie tank decoration? my kids really want it.

120 gal tank would give you about 24" of fish not including the tail. You can always check the calculator if unsure...
Keep in mind though that this is a guideline and not a hard and fast rule. Depending on fish species and max adult size it can actually be less.

douggiestyle said:
Is it ok to buy a fish that when full grown will not fit the tank.
IMO, no. You should only purchase animals you have full intension of keeping. It is not fair to the animal and there is also a greater chance that as the fish matures it will not accpet a new home if returned to the LFS and may very well die.

also, anybody know were i can get the mount wannahawkalugie tank decoration?
I'm afraid to ask... :p

Cheers
Steve

Thanks steve thats awesome. 24" doesn't seem like much. when an estimate is given on a fishes size does that usualy include the tail? and is the fish size for wild or for tank. ive always thought that a tank raised fish was slightly smaller than a wild one. in other words a fish that has an average adult size of 8" may only reach 6" in captivity

That measurement does not include the tail and it is just a general rule that is dependant on many things including the type of fish.

Often times fish to not reach the same size in captavity as they do in the wild.

Especially if they are forced to live in a tank that does not give
them adequate swim space.

Oh I agree. A friend had an oscar that completely filled a twenty gallon tank. it couldnt even turn arround.

About the Mount Wannahawkaluggie....my sister found one at a Petco near her house in Texas but it had different colors of lava "flowing". She also got the treasure chest w/ bubbles there...her tang doesn't react the same as Bubbles does in the movie....

douggiestyle said:
Oh I agree. A friend had an oscar that completely filled a twenty gallon tank. it couldnt even turn arround.

That's horrible, people that ignorant should not be allowed to own pets :(

About the Mount Wannahawkaluggie....my sister found one at a Petco near her house in Texas but it had different colors of lava "flowing". She also got the treasure chest w/ bubbles there...her tang doesn't react the same as Bubbles does in the movie....
Really? What's a Petco (and how big was it?)

A friend had an oscar that completely filled a twenty gallon tank. it couldnt even turn arround.

That's horrible, people that ignorant should not be allowed to own pets

That friend of mine was trying to create a new form of square fish pattie for McDonalds......

Moorish idol = 7"
Porcupine Puffer =6"
Clown Fish =4"
Yellow Tang =7"
Royal Grama =3"
Striped Damsel =4"
Invertebrates = Free!

Total 31"

Do posted fish species sizes included tails.

OWN PETS? a lot of those people have children!!!!!

i sure hope they take better care of their kids than their pets.....if not ill be first in line to shoot them

Back
Top Bottom