Is okay if there is diatom algae on my macroalgae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan M.

Aquarium Advice Regular
Inside my refugium it seems like my macro algae is getting overwhelmed with this diatom algae? At least I think it's diatom the tank has been running for just over a month so there is still diatoms for sure. thanks for any input!

Attachments

• image-1341912527.jpg
    image-1341912527.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 80
  • image-345013894.jpg
    image-345013894.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 80
I can't tell if it's covering it, but don't think that would be a huge problem. The chaeto doesn't look very healthy anyway. What light are you using?

I can't tell if it's covering it, but don't think that would be a huge problem. The chaeto doesn't look very healthy anyway. What light are you using?

Well the chaeto on the bottom of the refugium looks really good and I have a lot of podes and bristleworms. on top, I do agree it looks unhealthy that's why I'm trying to figure this out. The light is some light I got at home depot with a bunch of lumens of intensity. Soon I will invest in a coralife light that is rated for that refugium. for right now is this light a threat to my display tank? Also how many hours should I leave it on?

Maybe it's too much and the top is getting too much light? Is the light a threat to your refugium you mean? I don't think so. Just make sure if they is any dead matter to take it out before it decays and creates waste. I leave mine on all the time. You can do the switched light cycle (fuge lights on at night & DT on during daytime).

Maybe it's too much and the top is getting too much light? Is the light a threat to your refugium you mean? I don't think so. Just make sure if they is any dead matter to take it out before it decays and creates waste. I leave mine on all the time. You can do the switched light cycle (fuge lights on at night & DT on during daytime).

yeah that's what I'm thinking maybe to much light on the top? yes I did mean the DT because I I don't want something to transfer from my sump
to my DT I dont think it will, just being cautious. Other parts of the sump theres some type of matter like under neath the filter socks should I siphon it?

I don't know how it would affect the DT, so can't really say. It would be helpful to vacuum any detritus you can.

Back
Top Bottom