Is play sand safe for peacock eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordo124

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently replaced my gravel with play sand and i would like to keep a peacock eel... But i dont know is being in that sand would be ok for him... Since they like to burrow themselves ...

Perfectly fine. No problem at all.

Any peacock eel questions? I used to have one

Im sorry that was an accident.. My past one died some how i never saw it com out of the gravel again... I have other fish in the tank where im going to put him, they are really greedy .. So how do i feed him without the other fish taking his food? Do i stick a shrimp pellet inside the sand?

Gordo124 said:
Im sorry that was an accident.. My past one died some how i never saw it com out of the gravel again... I have other fish in the tank where im going to put him, they are really greedy .. So how do i feed him without the other fish taking his food? Do i stick a shrimp pellet inside the sand?

Usually I wave the blodworms in his face when he comes out at night and he eats them.

Gboy66 has more experience with them, and knows a lot more than me about the too.

I tried that with the other peacock that i had but he just hid inside the gravel...

Gordo124 said:
I tried that with the other peacock that i had but he just hid inside the gravel...

Well, I guess it depends on each eel. If your new one hides like that? I'd just scatter some bloodworms around at night because they like to scavenge around. Make sure it's dark so the other fish can't see them and eat them.

George9 said:
Well, I guess it depends on each eel. If your new one hides like that? I'd just scatter some bloodworms around at night because they like to scavenge around. Make sure it's dark so the other fish can't see them and eat them.

+1 what i would normally do it slightly defrost the cube in tank water, but it would still be in a ball. I then shake the worms all around the eel and its hiding spot. If other fish try to get to it, i shoo them off with my hand;)

Thats great ... But is blood worms the only thing i can feed it?

Gordo124 said:
Thats great ... But is blood worms the only thing i can feed it?

You can try small earthworms too, but it will be fine with only bloodworms

They love red wigglers or just small earth worms. Mine got so excited he jumped up and smacked the hood really hard and came out of the tank twice. The second time wasn't to pretty and now I'm without an eel. He was my favorite fish so I be gettin another one soon and try to figure a way to keep him in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom