Is quarentine best for a bullied guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AshleePureFancy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good evening everyone. I have a 30 gallon fishtank FILLED with guppies. I noticed just a few hours ago that 1 of my female guppies was looking malnourished. Her gravid spot has faded, her belly is sunken, and she has a tiny bit taken out of her tail. I am certain overcrowding is the culprit, she has no signs of fungus or disease.

I took her out of the 30 gallon and moved her to a 5 gallon, 1/2 water from the 30 gallon and 1/2 fresh water. I put her in there and left her alone for a while, with no light, then after a few hours had passed, I fed her some blood worms. She ate them up frantically, so I know she doesn't have mouth rot or anything. There are some brand spanking new fry in my 30 gallon, so maybe she has just given birth and thats why she appears malnourished?

Anyway, after deciding she isn't diseased, I put 2 more females a 1 male in with her. I wouldn't have added the male, but I also wanted to decrease some of the bullying going on in my 30 gallon. :/ Will this stress her to death? Should I remove the male, or remove all of them and quarentine her? I hate that I'm so overstocked, but I don't know what to do with them. I have been feeding the fry to my Betta, but he usually only eats like 2 of them and then the rest live to grow too large for him to eat.

Thank you all in advance for any advice you have.

Well first off you stuck her into a uncycled tank. There is not bacteria in the water, it is in the filter media. IMO your best bet would be to put her in a baby saver.

Back
Top Bottom