Is she having babies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monte1214

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
- I got this fish a few weeks ago, and in the last few days "she" has been digging a hole by picking pebble by pebble with her mouth.
- Today I noticed that she's chasing others away from the hole and there's little grey "eggs" in there.
- Is she having babies?
- Are they eggs that have to be fertilized?
- Is it something else??

- All help is greatly appreciated!
- Thanks!

img_1247895_0_d3b3b828992e693a9993a085bd8e46a8.jpg

img_1247895_1_d972ca276c7f77762fd354bf98671d8f.jpg

img_1247895_2_1f61f10da036907030e9ea5c13057106.jpg

img_1247895_3_fac8b94b7de417a8943a9074fe980af8.jpg

Likely, "he" has just reached sexual maturity and is staking a territory. Not much risk of the fish reproducing even if there was a mate available. What size tank? He will get considerably larger.

Just curious, what kind of fish is this? And, HNI how do you know it's a male "staking out its territory"?

It's a blood parrot fish.
It's a man made hybrid. It's a cross between a gold cichlid and a red devil.(correct me if im wrong). And they can't reproduce.
Sent from my iPhone

- I forget what the name of the fish is??
- If it's a male staking out territory, then what are the little "eggs" in the bottom picture?
- My tank is 50g bow front.

I missed the eggs. Then it is a she, but the others are correct. It's a BP and they are usually sterile. The cross is something of a mystery. The producers would never confirm what was crossed to create them.

I missed the eggs. Then it is a she, but the others are correct. It's a BP and they are usually sterile. The cross is something of a mystery. The producers would never confirm what was crossed to create them.

does red devil and gold cichlid sound right? or have you heard differently?

I've heard a lot of speculation and really don't know. It was / is a closely guarded secret.

Ummm.... the eggs are infertile eggs. aka cory treats.

Back
Top Bottom