Is there a doctor in the house? Red spots on rasbora.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MymonkeyMoue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403742083.266783.jpg

This is one of our 1.5 yr old Rasboras. He's a big fella, Although I'm not entirely convinced they're Rasboras because another store had them as barbs.

Anyway, The redness started out on his bottom side, and he looked a little distended, so we opted for peas - he gobbled them up. I assumed it was his swim bladder. Redness didn't subside, but wasn't getting any worse - pea feeding continued. He has been swimming normally, but his red spots are spreading - see photo. Finally got him out of the tank for a dip. Boyfriend and I are deciding between using epsom salt(preferred) or paraguard.

Just wanted to know if anyone had a similar condition/treatment or solution. Many thanks!

Should have also mentioned that water parameters are perfect ( tested every other day since he's been sick just in case we are missing something) tank is 35 gallon, planted. Temp is 74.

Try the Epsom salt dip first. If it's just an open would or something of that nature it should help. I would however keep him separated from the main tank incase it is contagious. What are your parameters and tank mates just out of curiosity?

Thanks for the reply! PH is 7, nitrates/nitrites/ammonia is 0. Temp is 74. We have 5 of those guys, some Endlers, a few Amber Tatars and cardinal tetras, and some Siamese algae eaters.

We'll give the epsom salt a try, hopefully it does the trick! Thanks again!

No problem. I believe that none of the tank mates would have caused a wound. Just do the Epsom salts and see if it gets better if not maybe some anti bacterial or anti parasitic meds. Also, you are correct. Your fish isn't a rasbora, he's a gold barb from the looks of it.

definitely a barb.

There are several different general medications for wounds like that that you should try treating available at any fish store!

Just wanted to update that he's made it!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404346143.073197.jpg

Still a touch of red at the very top, but way better than before, and he's much more active.

This school of fish are fighters. This entire school survived an ich outbreak last year, they were the only fish in he entire tank to survive. Glad he's pulled through!

Thanks so much for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom