Is there a fish only tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to ask whether is there any one who keep marine fishes in an aquarium with only fish and LS and nothing else? Without live rocks and other corals. I would like to remove the LR as it is very difficult for me to maintain. Would it be more easier to maintain a SW aquarium with just fishes?

the LR does indeed help with the filtering, but if you don't like the LR or don't want to maintain it or the lighting, etc you can run the tank with mechanical replacements for what the LR accomplishes. You will most likely need a Sump, a Filter.... I'll let someone with a FO system give you more detailed info, but rest assured it can be done, you'll just need to buy more equipment to take the place of the LR.

If you have a big enough sump you can place the live rock in there, it will then do the same job for filtration whilst decreasing the amount of maintainece required. And will be out of sight if thats what you want :)

my first tank was a 55g fish only tank.. all i had was a magnum 350 canister filter.. like 2 inch of live sand.. i had a maroon clown, a false perc., two cowfishes, two damsels, and a hippo tang.. water chemistry was okay for me.. nothing really went wrong..

If i were to have around 2 inch of LS, then i have internal filter ( those that are placed at the side of the tank, rectangular in shape, water flows in from the top, don't know you guys saw that kind of filter at your country or not ), i asked the auntie, she said its include mech, bio and chem filtering, can this replace live rocks? And do i need to add in any minerals to keep the fishes alive in a fish only tank?

I have another question, would fishes pick up fight easily in a fish only tank? Because there is no where for those peaceful fishes to hide from those aggressive ones. :cry:

I would like to remove the LR as it is very difficult for me to maintain.

My biggest question would be, why does your liverock need to be maintained? An active cleanup crew of snails, hermits, pods, bristleworms, etc. should be able to keep thing relatively clean. Perhaps it would be easier to add some of the rather than tearing out all the LR. Problems with maintenance of LR is not normal so I think you can be happy and successful, while enjoys the numerous benefits of LR.

I have another question, would fishes pick up fight easily in a fish only tank? Because there is no where for those peaceful fishes to hide from those aggressive ones.

Unfortunately, I believe it would be an issue. If you had fake decor, this will also need to be removed and cleaned which defeats what you are trying to accomplish. I would try and fix the problem above, I think a feasible remedy exists if you can provide a few more details!

Back
Top Bottom